• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: UK leaves EU?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UK leaves EU?"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by GreyWolf View Post
    The freedom of movement agreement applies to the European Economic Area and that is not same thing as the European Union. It's EU + EFTA (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) + Switzerland. There is a Europe outside of the EU.

If the UK leaves the EU it may rejoin EFTA. It may even come to a bilateral agreement with the EU regarding freedom of movement just like the Swiss have. Either way, British people in Europe are not going to be loaded into cattle trucks for resettlement north of Calais.

You can all hold off on the dual citizenship application for the time being.
    Ah yes, but 'may rejoin EFTA' and 'may even come to a bilateral agreement' are not really convincing enough for people whose families are then spread across EU and non-EU countries.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    You should know that you can't have dual citizenship in NL.
    Yes you can, if you're married to a Dutch citizen.

Leave a comment:

• GreyWolf
    replied
    The freedom of movement agreement applies to the European Economic Area and that is not same thing as the European Union. It's EU + EFTA (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) + Switzerland. There is a Europe outside of the EU.

If the UK leaves the EU it may rejoin EFTA. It may even come to a bilateral agreement with the EU regarding freedom of movement just like the Swiss have. Either way, British people in Europe are not going to be loaded into cattle trucks for resettlement north of Calais.

You can all hold off on the dual citizenship application for the time being.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I think I'll get myself dual British-Dutch citizenship and hedge my bets.
    You should know that you can't have dual citizenship in NL.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Most of my facebook 'friends' seem to be in the 'yes' camp.
    Like wise. But's there a noticeable difference from years gone by. Many of them are West coasties who would have probably never voted in there puff despite the granddad celebrating his 32nd birthday. And if they did it would have been labour. Turnout has always being low. I think there's a attitude of 'something finally to get off my backside and vote for, even if it rains'. These voters don't read 'The times' for online polls and the like.

On the other side of the coin I notice the more well off members of the family have no intention of voting yes.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    Anyone with real political [I]opportunism skills [/I]will be in Brussels where the gravy train is.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Indeed, why get second-rate actors to do it when you can get the genuine article.

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    That may be so they are the only show in town for any sort of free enterprise IR35 or not
    We'll see, UKIP may steal the wind from their sails in that regard. In the end, if the Tories were so dedicated to free markets and enterprise, they'd abolish it. The truth of the matter is anyone interested in free markets in that party has zero influence. There's only fringe elements like Daniel Hannan, who is more or less of no consequence to the Tory big wigs.

What ticks me off about MPs, regardless of party, and other anti avoidance 'crusaders' is that they're a) paid purely on the taxpayer's dime and b) are some of the biggest tax dodgers out there, and yet have the gall to whine about anyone other than them not paying "enough tax". There's always the obligatory finger-wagging at MNCs, but they're usually intelligent enough to realise that if these firms just pack up and leave, they won't have very good employment or GDP figures to brag about.

All I will say about the Tories is that they possess superior political acumen to their opposition's big names, e.g. Milliband, who has butchered his career as a PM before it even had the chance to begin.
    Last edited by Zero Liability; 16 January 2014, 21:01.

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    What, like 0.01% of them? I doubt any of them have much principled belief in anything, let alone market "fundamentalism". They are very keen on public-private partnerships and the like, which benefit them and their cronies, and perhaps they sell this as the "free market", but I don't think the Tories are any more committed to the concept than the other parties are, other than the aforementioned PPP and the market for political favours. Their actions certainly don't indicate it.

These are also the same people who refuse to do anything about IR35, which is certainly an area (along with NI/PAYE more generally) that should exercise market "fundamentalists", and affects their supposedly beloved middle-class more than the 'rich' or any other group.

The reason I have so little patience for the Tories is precisely their lack of much in the way of principle. They are a political engine, through and through.
    The Tory Party has rotted from within. Just look at the quality of people in the party. Every Government burns through talent as people make mistake and enemies. This lot never had much going into Government!

I think increasingly we will see celebrities and sports stars going into British politics. All they'll have to do is read out the script on TV and look good doing so.

Anyone with real political talent will be in Brussels where the action is.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    What, like 0.01% of them? I doubt any of them have much principled belief in anything, let alone market "fundamentalism". They are very keen on public-private partnerships and the like, which benefit them and their cronies, and perhaps they sell this as the "free market", but I don't think the Tories are any more committed to the concept than the other parties are, other than the aforementioned PPP and the market for political favours. Their actions certainly don't indicate it.

These are also the same people who refuse to do anything about IR35, which is certainly an area (along with NI/PAYE more generally) that should exercise market "fundamentalists", and affects their supposedly beloved middle-class more than the 'rich' or any other group.

The reason I have so little patience for the Tories is precisely their lack of much in the way of principle. They are a political engine, through and through.

That may be so they are the only show in town for any sort of free enterprise IR35 or not

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I thought I was until some 'tories' turned into market fundamentalists. In fact I think I still am as I basically believe in free markets with a qualification; freedom's great but has to be accompanied with morality and responsibility;

Last edited by Zero Liability; 16 January 2014, 19:48.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

One posted a link to this article which is quite interesting

My friends wonder why any intelligent Scot would vote Yes «

I think the problem is the 'no' = same old, same old. There isn't really a 'no' campaign as such, and many Scots want change.
    Change comes from within people themselves. Scotland will never prosper voting for left wing MPs

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    I am a Scot, but I don't think we're going to vote for independence, otherwise you'd be right. If the EU vote were held first and went for "Out", then I'd guess the Scottish vote would go the other way.

My great-great-great-grandfather was Irish but I don't think that's close enough, most of the British Isles has at least that much Irish in them.

One posted a link to this article which is quite interesting

My friends wonder why any intelligent Scot would vote Yes «

I think the problem is the 'no' = same old, same old. There isn't really a 'no' campaign as such, and many Scots want change.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    FTFY

What else would you move to Jersey for other than to die?
    To admire the local IB IT implementations.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    FTFY

What else would you move to Jersey for other than to die?
    That's likelier in London than Jersey, tbh. It's more advantageous tax-wise, and London isn't exactly half a world away. Plus I like quieter places.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Sailing, fishing, painting, writing?
    Not exactly the extrovert are we ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X