• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "No surprises here then."

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Is it no coincidence that Daily Mail ryhmes with Fairytale?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    The full list:
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mudskipper again."

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Why do people always go for the Mail when the same story is often in other papers?

900,000 choose to come off sickness benefit ahead of tests - Telegraph

I note that these other reasons for not pursuing ESA claims did not include any estimate of how many, was it a significant figure? Maybe the exact figure is suspect but the broad conclusion that many were claiming without good cause is one supported by ministers according to the DT. One assumes (hopes) they are not totally ignorant of the issues.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 4 January 2014, 11:18.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    And for the rest of the media there's Media Lens - Media Lens - News Analysis and Media Criticism

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Possibly just bad reporting: Mail Online not so clued-up in its Sherlock review | Media Monkey | Media | theguardian.com

The most important article today: Only Fools and Horses set to return with a special episode celebrating Del Boy's birthday | Mail Online

Used to be good: • Index page
    Other links:

Daily Mail - RationalWiki
    Anorak | Checking The Daily Mail For Lies, Half-Truths And Propaganda Balls
    Tabloid Watch

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    What the hell is wrong with some of you people, you're in IT and you can't figure out how Google works?
    The full list:

Press Complaints Commission >> News >> Mr John Thuo that a Kenyan asylum-seeker had committed murders in his home country;
    Press Complaints Commission >> News >> Dr Helen Hammond that disabled babies were being euthanised under the Liverpool Care Pathway;
    Press Complaints Commission >> News >> Scottish Refugee Council that asylum-seekers had “targeted” Scotland;

Press Complaints Commission >> News >> Portsmouth City Council that a Portsmouth primary school had denied pupils water on the hottest day of the year because it was Ramadan;
    Press Complaints Commission >> News >> Mr John Somerville that nearly half the electricity produced by windfarms was discarded
    Press Complaints Commission >> News >> Adele Brand that wolves would soon return to Britain;
    Press Complaints Commission >> News >> Reverend John Hayes that 878,000 recipients of Employment Support Allowance had stopped claiming “rather than face a fresh medical”;
    Press Complaints Commission >> News >> Mrs Lynn Ellard that disabled people are exempt from the bedroom tax;

Some stories more embellished than others, but none entirely factual.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Here's the PCC link for the 878,000 - basically the complaint is that other reasons (e.g. return to work or switching to a different benefit) had not been considered.

Press Complaints Commission >> News >> Reverend John Hayes

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    According to what this PCC link it was this chap himself who made claims of being a killer to a tribunal thinking it would help his asylum case. Quite why others should be castigated for reporting that I am not sure. If not a killer, he is a liar.

Nice to know that these tribunals have our safety at heart. Not. If true he would be a real danger to us and yet was allowed to stay because his own statement was only "unlikely" Do they mean claims of killing 400 people were unlikely or of killing anyone at all were unlikely? Real proof should always be necessary before somebody is imprisoned but not when it comes to refusing UK residence. We do not have a duty to put our citizens at risk for the safety of non citizens. He should not be here.

There are so many contradictions in lefty thinking on the asylum issue. They like to claim all asylum seekers are honest, yet dismiss claims like this as inventions. They accept that corruption, violence and crime in the third world are genuine reasons for people to flee their own nations yet reject any suggestion that those people can ever bring the corruption, violence or crime of their own societies with them.

Worst of all they seem to ignore human nature by blanket acceptance of these asylum tales. If any of you lived in real poverty and saw a chance of a better life somewhere else, wouldn't you be prepared to invent or exaggerate stories about violence and persecution? I bet you would. Yet actual asylum seekers never lie, they are all saints.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I know where they sell some stripey paint, if that helps?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    What the hell is wrong with some of you people, you're in IT and you can't figure out how Google works?
    I've forgotten now, it's so long since I've used it.

When I need some simple search, I just ask here and some mug can't resist posting a "let me Google that for you" link.

BTW, anyone know where one can buy acrylic white paint?

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    I prefer the news according to PJ Harvey.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Don't know how unbiased it is but found this site today: illustrates how accurate but selective use of news can sometimes be used to make opposing cases anyway:

Full Fact | Promoting accuracy in public debate

The John Thuo story was retracted by the Mail after a complaint to the etc
    Ok, but no refutation of the other one so we're even! Same here re pub.

PS it reported claims that HE made and the immigration tribunal found his claims unlikely to be true? Eh?
    Last edited by xoggoth; 3 January 2014, 22:02.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    The John Thuo story was retracted by the Mail after a complaint to the PCC: Press Complaints Commission >> News >> Mr John Thuo

Found via Google

Going to the pub while the rain's stopped, so no time to check the other one

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    All Mail inventions eh? Can't be bothered to check them all but here's two I did:

This from the Kenyan press:

murderer who killed up to 400 people in his homeland has been granted asylum in Britain.
    Mungiki Man Who Killed 400 In Kenya Granted Asylum In Britain - Nairobi Wire
    John Thuo, a Kenyan beyond Kenya | PinHole Kenya

This from a government report:

878,300 people claiming incapacity benefit - more than a third of the total - have chosen to
    drop their benefit claim entirely rather than face a medical assessment, new figures have
    revealed.
    http://www.statisticsauthority.gov.u...p-29052013.pdf

Last edited by xoggoth; 3 January 2014, 23:58.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Lies of the Daily Mail - Boing Boing

But still an entertaining read.

I presume that this year was last year - even the mail would struggle to cram all that crap into three days.
    Yes, that piece is taken from New Statesman last week.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X