• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Boomed...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Boomed..."

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Yep, and you need a project hero
    So just pick any other cuk forumite

Leave a comment:

• MasterBlaster
    replied

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    I've already got my Programme Tech Lead lined up... I've worked with him on more than a few projects now, he typically earns a good bit more than me due to his skillset. He does all the tough techie stuff for me and leaves me alone to do my programme level stuff, I do the opposite for him in protecting him and his techies from politics and programme stuff. It works fairly well for us and I don't have to break in a new Tech Lead to my rather unique manglement style

Leave a comment:

• Bellona
    replied
    Originally posted by Bellona View Post

Glad you got it sorted out

( Don't forget your cukkers on the bench when picking your team ) lol
    Nooooo he needs a project heroine

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Bellona View Post

Yep, and you need a project hero

Leave a comment:

• Bellona
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Damon
    replied
    Originally posted by craig1 View Post

Edit: Also, large mergers and integrations often take 18+ months, the larger the longer. Stage 1 is the core merger, Stage 2 is the core integration finishing with a single organisation. 3 years is about right for that. Once that's done, the company will have absolutely no need for me or my skills, if I were an employee they'd have to make me redundant.
    I used this argument when divesting the Bank of America's Spanish business as we had to extend the TSA period.

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
    ^ this

very happy for you, and many s and s but can three years be considered contracting? that's longer than most permanent positions - I would think any IR35 Cred is straight out with the 24 month rule?
    Yes and no. It was a right pain getting the contract right to minimise my IR35 impact, that's why it took 4 weeks to do it. I was told that I've about a 25% chance of failing an IR35 audit, mainly based on the side of the bed the HMRC inspector would get out of on the morning of the audit. My plan is, as I advised someone else on here, is to act outside of IR35 but pay myself inside with the end goal of a good number of years later having a nice little bonus payout when the chance for HMRC to intervene goes away.

As an aside, I got the role directly with the client but they have a payroll agency intermediary who will pay me. I had a right old circular argument with the agency about how I must opt out or I'd be considered an employee, they'd have to take PAYE off me and so on. It was a pain walking through their "Legal Officer" through why opting out is not possible if I've come through being found, interviewed, offered by the client THEN introduced to the agency, he didn't get that that's almost 100% the wrong way round!

Edit: Also, large mergers and integrations often take 18+ months, the larger the longer. Stage 1 is the core merger, Stage 2 is the core integration finishing with a single organisation. 3 years is about right for that. Once that's done, the company will have absolutely no need for me or my skills, if I were an employee they'd have to make me redundant.
    Last edited by craig1; 31 December 2013, 15:37.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Top :banana;

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    I'd lube up and take muscle relaxants now.

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Cautious
    ^ this

very happy for you, and many s and s but can three years be considered contracting? that's longer than most permanent positions - I would think any IR35 Cred is straight out with the 24 month rule?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by craig1 View Post
    FINALLY got the last contract kinks worked out with my new contract and it signed, four weeks is the longest that's taken me but I suppose the Christmas period didn't help.

Good stuff:
    - very close to home compared to my last six years of contracting, it's a 30 minute drive (28 miles).
    - it's a 3 year contract.
    - I'm first in meaning I get to hire my own programme team and project managers rather than taking what's given.

Bad stuff:
    - it's a 3 year contract. 24 month rule blown already and so many other complications it's silly.
    - lowest rate I've had for a contract since 1999. Not really a bad thing as it's still a decent rate and reflects a 4 hour cut in my daily commute.
    - I've been told bluntly that it'll be a persistent fight over the three years to stop line managers putting their costs in my budget, the procurement policy allows people of certain grades to allocate costs to any cost centre regardless of whether they control it or not.

I suppose it's so early in the programme that I'll find out the other good and bad things as I go...
    Cautious

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Happy New Boom!

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    yay well done!