• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ultimately, the only thing stopping ALL of our work being offshored is..."

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Your not one of these cravat wearing design pattern types are you?
    I'm a stuff doer. Can't sit around all day pondering pretty patterns.
    Like java devs?
    See

Hubris

Pride goes before a fall

Leave a comment:

• jimjamuk
    replied
    All I do is remind the management how much they must be saving - I only do this due major f-ups and when I hear the usual comments about stuff not being done properly. This means its about 2 or 3 times a week and I think the message is sinking in

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    But yes the whole 'it's cheaper/better to offshore' point is being eroded as finally senior execs are waking up to what most IT professionals have known for years - IT is a legitimate profession and should be considered in the same breath as careers in Law, Accounting etc etc.
    I think it's more than that. A successful business must have a competitive advantage over it's rivals.

And you cannot buy a competitive advantage from the market. You can only buy the market average. You have to invest to create an advantage and that applies whether your are a one-man PSC or a multi-national.

So the first companies to offshore AND make it work efficiently probably gained an advantage, lowering the cost of the IT and allowing them to take on bigger projects.

But now all their rivals have followed suite. So it's no longer advantageous to follow the current model. It is the market average.

So to regain an advantage they need to do something different. For example, in-sourcing OR adopting SaaS at scale.

In the beginning only the forward thinking companies will change. The majority will maintain the status quo ... but eventually they will be forced to adopt the "new model" ( whatever that turns out to be ) because if they don't they will be at a disadvantage.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Certainly not. I'm a stuff doer. Can't sit around all day pondering pretty patterns.
    No you need to annoy the client in such a way that they enforce a 1 month break while they get the systems back up and running again

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    it is possible to be a thinker and a doer you know.....

not always mutually exclusive

in fact having great ideas is fine but if you cannot take that idea and turn it into a reality it ain't worth jack
    Like java devs?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    it is possible to be a thinker and a doer you know.....

not always mutually exclusive

in fact having great ideas is fine but if you cannot take that idea and turn it into a reality it ain't worth jack

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    erm nope!

are you?
    Certainly not. I'm a stuff doer. Can't sit around all day pondering pretty patterns.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    erm nope!

are you?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    One of the main reasons I have found is that middle managment muppet who is way out of his/her depth in IT projects are more than happy to spit their dummy out, shout and generally be rude as ***** on the phone to Bob in Bangalore and Vlad in Romania

However face to face they simply do not have the skills or balls to work with equals who have an opinion and often more experience.

But yes the whole 'it's cheaper/better to offshore' point is being eroded as finally senior execs are waking up to what most IT professionals have known for years - IT is a legitimate profession and should be considered in the same breath as careers in Law, Accounting etc etc.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    One of the main reasons I have found is that middle managment muppet who is way out of his/her depth in IT projects are more than happy to spit their dummy out, shout and generally be rude as ***** on the phone to Bob in Bangalore and Vlad in Romania

However face to face they simply do not have the skills or balls to work with equals who have an opinion and often more experience.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    You can believe me or not. That's your choice.

Shame you couldn't stick to the topic and contribute rather than trying to turn it into a slanging match.
    Forum: General
    All hope abandon ye who enter here. Seriously.
    HTH

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    You can believe me or not. That's your choice.

Shame you couldn't stick to the topic and contribute rather than trying to turn it into a slanging match.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    Homoerotic suity worship
    As much as I'd like to swap tall tales with a tedious socky I have other threads to attend to.

There's always Mumsnet.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    You better work on your pole choking skills.
    Have you got some homo-erotic fantasy that you need to share? You do seem to throw that line in frequently when people disagree with you. Sounds like you are repressing something.

As far as my work being offshored? Well I don't think so. Last two roles were running programmes with budgets greater than $10M with teams of 20+ ( both delivered successfully, thanks for asking. ). Using a wide variety of vendors and staffing models, across multiple time zones.

And even if I found work dried up ( it's a fallacy to think there is a finite pool of work .... the more work that is done the more is created ) well I've always got my plan 'B' to fall back on. Which is my software product company I created. Which is successful and brings in enough money to live off and I'd never out-source myself as that would just be stupid.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X