• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Bloody cyclists!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bloody cyclists!"

Collapse

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    D-Lock to the driver's face the next time they stop generally gets the message across
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Gesticulation and middle finger salutes to close passing motorists?
    D-Lock to the wing mirror the next time they stop generally gets the message across

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    I will teach her them when she is older...

and has learnt how to cycle faster to get away

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Well that's a good thing; many young cyclists only discover that hand signals are worthwhile and not 'uncool' after they've been splattered across the pavement and had a trip to A&E.

Did they also explain to her that using a Stupidphone (TM) while cycling is just asking for trouble?
    They did but as she is only 10 she ain't got one yet...

althoigh I wonder if she will try to use her tablet whilst riding - that will probably not end well!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Still exists - my daughter did hers just the other week.

She is now not allowed to ride on the pavement and must use hand signals correctly.
    Well that's a good thing; many young cyclists only discover that hand signals are worthwhile and not 'uncool' after they've been splattered across the pavement and had a trip to A&E.

Did they also explain to her that using a Stupidphone (TM) while cycling is just asking for trouble?

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    ... and must use hand signals correctly.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Whatever happened to the Cycle Proficiency Test? I still have my certificate and badge. I remember at school that they made us do it if we cycled to school and I was glad I did. I was also glad that I took my motorcycle test and rode a motorbike. On a cycle and a motorbike you're more open to the elements, the road and other drivers and tends to make you more aware (especially how hard a road is and how slippery it can be!)
    Still exists - my daughter did hers just the other week.

She is now not allowed to ride on the pavement and must use hand signals correctly.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Bastra
    Ah yes, the supercar of choice for the staff of Domino's Pizzas.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Whatever happened to the Cycle Proficiency Test? I still have my certificate and badge. I remember at school that they made us do it if we cycled to school and I was glad I did. I was also glad that I took my motorcycle test and rode a motorbike. On a cycle and a motorbike you're more open to the elements, the road and other drivers and tends to make you more aware (especially how hard a road is and how slippery it can be!)

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Golf? Audi? Astra? Big plastic spoilers?
    Bastra

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I was on the end of a road rage ranter the other week. I was driving my car and waiting for a place where I could see far enough ahead to pass a cyclist safely and giving him enough room. Dickhead behind who was already taligating me pretty agressively starts flashing the lights of his chavmobile because I hadn't immediately passed (dangerously close) the bloke on a bike. The irony of him ranting at me whilst we sat side by side at red traffic lights not 100 yards further on was lost on the pillock.
    Golf? Audi? Astra? Big plastic spoilers?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    (note I do not have a 4x4!)
    Good; they´re terribly naff if you´re not a farmer.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    I was on the end of a road rage ranter the other week. I was driving my car and waiting for a place where I could see far enough ahead to pass a cyclist safely and giving him enough room. Dickhead behind who was already taligating me pretty agressively starts flashing the lights of his chavmobile because I hadn't immediately passed (dangerously close) the bloke on a bike. The irony of him ranting at me whilst we sat side by side at red traffic lights not 100 yards further on was lost on the pillock.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Road tax was abolished in 1937.

If you nonetheless think that being taxed for owning a car somehow gives you extra rights over the Queen's Highway: I pay Vehicle Excise Duty on two motorised vehicles, neither of which I am using when cycling; so I'm entitled to twice as much road as many drivers, if that's the way such matters are going to be decided.
    They will be decided by me in my 4x4 and you on your 2x1 playing chicken

probably

(note I do not have a 4x4!)

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Also do cyclist actually pay road tax?
    Road tax was abolished in 1937.

If you nonetheless think that being taxed for owning a car somehow gives you extra rights over the Queen's Highway: I pay Vehicle Excise Duty on two motorised vehicles, neither of which I am using when cycling; so I'm entitled to twice as much road as many drivers, if that's the way such matters are going to be decided.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X