• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Do any of you

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do any of you"

Collapse

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    My fear would be that its a pipedream figure to cover the empire building.....
    mmm yes it would not be the first time wildly optimistic sales figures have been used in a business case as justification to go ahead with a project.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Money in a hurry?

ArseTicklersFaggotsFanClub.com is available.

HTH.

qh

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Agree, in that case, very sensible to future-proof.
    My fear would be that its a pipedream figure to cover the empire building.....

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    could in time get to 10000+ orders per day (hopefully)

So not as crazy as it sounds to be honest....
    Agree, in that case, very sensible to future-proof.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Is that a serious question? Websphere is an industrial strength product.

I chucked together some PHP (single product purchase) to handle 5-10 per day

Any tin-pot shopping cart on Apache will handle small volumes.
    It is - however I believe the plans are to ramp up sales and also sell a number of other products which could in time get to 10000+ orders per day (hopefully)

So not as crazy as it sounds to be honest....

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    So if we are say looking at volumes of 5-10 per week we may have wasted our money?
    Is that a serious question? Websphere is an industrial strength product.

I chucked together some PHP (single product purchase) to handle 5-10 per day

Any tin-pot shopping cart on Apache will handle small volumes.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    So if we are say looking at volumes of 5-10 per week we may have wasted our money?
    We need the net profit per sale to be 100% sure. But I can't see a payback time of 1 billion years (if you ignore running costs) being much of a problem.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
    IBM websphere is a powerful product, but never really evolved with the times. Microsoft commerce server was at risk of going the same way but the later versions open up various API's and have a lot of decent functionality but in my opinion both of the above are overkill unless you are having a significant level of transactions going through them.

How much would the average sale be?
    How many transactions do you expect to process a day?
    Is there a requirement for additional shopfaces?

If i were you, I would use a cheap/free solution to dip your toe in the water, then if you get the the point where you are transacting >100000 orders a day then look at migrating the one of the big 5 platforms.

Leave a comment:

• RedSauce
    replied
    IBM websphere is a powerful product, but never really evolved with the times. Microsoft commerce server was at risk of going the same way but the later versions open up various API's and have a lot of decent functionality but in my opinion both of the above are overkill unless you are having a significant level of transactions going through them.

How much would the average sale be?
    How many transactions do you expect to process a day?
    Is there a requirement for additional shopfaces?

If i were you, I would use a cheap/free solution to dip your toe in the water, then if you get the the point where you are transacting >100000 orders a day then look at migrating the one of the big 5 platforms.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    well yes indeed - does not even come with a 'basket' as standard functionality.

I am just rofl ing a lot know as I have been saying to the clueless senior execs for the past 18 months (and £1.5 million) you are wasting time and money buying this to sell a total of 7 (seven) different products on the web.

Someone must be getting a back hander!
    nope someone believes the old adage you can't be fired for buying IBM.

7 products you say. So that is £500 for the style (or £25,000 for a design house) and £10 a month for hosting using the site above.....

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    That's just websphere with a customized / customizable front end to start from. If its anything like the Microsoft commerce server (since offloaded to anyone willing to support it) its great at giving you a noddy ecommerce site from circa 2004 but will be lacking many features you require nowadays......
    well yes indeed - does not even come with a 'basket' as standard functionality.

I am just rofl ing a lot know as I have been saying to the clueless senior execs for the past 18 months (and £1.5 million) you are wasting time and money buying this to sell a total of 7 (seven) different products on the web.

Someone must be getting a back hander!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    How does one of these compare with an Enterprise solution such as IBM's websphere commerce server?
    That's just websphere with a customized / customizable front end to start from. If its anything like the Microsoft commerce server (since offloaded to anyone willing to support it) its great at giving you a noddy ecommerce site from circa 2004 but will be lacking many features you require nowadays......

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    How does one of these compare with an Enterprise solution such as IBM's websphere commerce server?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Actually looking around Ecommerce Software & Online Shopping Cart Solutions by Volusion with a £500 or so template may be a very good deal...

Leave a comment:

• jimjamuk
    replied
    Originally setup a OSCommerce site for the missis and her plans for ecommerce dominance but that was a bit of a chore - eventually moved to a Volusion site with a customised template - you could probably be up and running in a few days with Paypal integration and something like Worldpay within 2-4 weeks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X