• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Not recommended for rehire"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I was asked if I'd take on some work for a former employer - but entirely different department from where I had worked. It was all going through smoothly, then my former boss's boss spotted my name and refused to sign the purchase order (his only role in the whole process was authorising the purchase order). The project managers were furious with him. According to the idiot manager I was on a "global blacklist". Which is probably not the case.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Cheers Mich you've got it spot on there, the guy is a prat and that's the only thing he can do.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Yeah, I had that from a manager once. As soon as they knew that my contract was at an end and I was coming available, no less than four other managers at the same client bid for me, knowing my work. One prat manager doesn't really matter and the other managers ignored it.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Well things finally reached breaking point and I'm leaving my current gig for pastures new , unfortunately as I'm not working my full notice I'll have "Not recommended for rehire" attached to my name somehow so I've been told by the Test manager it seems he want's to be petty about it which is fair enough I can't be assed at this point. The role was in no way related to automation hence I decided to leave before suffering from skill fade. Still the client is a very big player in West London so I may come to regret it later down the line, has anyone else had this happen (being blacklisted by a previous client)?
    Come on, you know how chaotic big companies are and how the politics works. Sad little middle manager wants a power kick so he uses the tiny little bit of power he has to write 'not recommended for rehire' on some document and probably has a hard on while he does it. That's his moment of power for this year. A few years down the line, there's a role in another department needing somebody with experience, you happen to be that person and you've got yourself personally recommended to a senior manager who thinks the test manager's a prat anyway and if they do still have that file (which has probably disappeared in the umpteenth layer of subdirectories) he'll ignore it. Not a drama at all so don't worry about it.

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Well things finally reached breaking point and I'm leaving my current gig for pastures new , unfortunately as I'm not working my full notice I'll have "Not recommended for rehire" attached to my name somehow so I've been told by the Test manager it seems he want's to be petty about it which is fair enough I can't be assed at this point. The role was in no way related to automation hence I decided to leave before suffering from skill fade. Still the client is a very big player in West London so I may come to regret it later down the line, has anyone else had this happen (being blacklisted by a previous client)?
    Good job that you aren't looking for hiring, then - you are a supplier.

Leave a comment:

• worzelGummidge
    replied
    Blacklisted

Being blacklisted really does go both ways.
    Sometimes you just have to hold your head up high, leave the big pile of political poo behind and leave - or at lease give them the option to terminate and tell them that you would quite like to be thanks very much.

Head up, CV dusted off and go and do some good somewhere else where things a a little less difficult.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    I've been asked for references when accepting gigs.
    I've had contractors I've worked with in the past ask if I'll be a reference for them.

Suffice to say, none of these references were ever actually requested.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Blacklisted once many years ago. Well known agency still hadn't paid a single invoice after four months, excuse after excuse so I took another gig and told them to shove it up their arse so I got blacklisted (you'll never work for us or any other agency again, blah, blah, blah).

They were on the phone three weeks later

Oh yeah and back at the original ClientCo several times over the years (direct of course had binned agents by that time). They understood that I wasn't a charity and didn't work for free so being happy with the work I did they were delighted to bin the agency too.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Blacklisting my arse.
    The old man is proposing that tonight at the South Yorkshire Collective of Toilet Traders EGM.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    +1. I would bet decent money that if an automation project came up and you talked the talk they would take you on again....
    That's my feeling too, still I just wondered if it was a common thing a guy left here before me and it didn't happened to him. Shame on me for questioning his judgement lol

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Blacklisting my arse.
    +1. I would bet decent money that if an automation project came up and you talked the talk they would take you on again....

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Why would you leave without notice? Why not just insist on sending a subbie and then let them terminate?

And once you've left, put in a subject access request under the Data Protection Act and see what info they are holding on you.
    What a Sterling idea

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Thanks for your input, really helpful lol
    Why would you leave without notice? Why not just insist on sending a subbie and then let them terminate?

And once you've left, put in a subject access request under the Data Protection Act and see what info they are holding on you.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Blacklisting my arse.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I've blacklisted a couple.
    Bad swinger's party?

Leave a comment:

Working...