• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who from here is this"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    From the Telegraph article...

A person may be excused jury service because of insufficient understanding of English, certain care responsibilities or religious beliefs

... well that should cover a multitude of excuses then. Just need a few Jehova's witnesses to knock on my door.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    From the Telegraph article...

A person may be excused jury service because of insufficient understanding of English, certain care responsibilities or religious beliefs

... well that should cover a multitude of excuses then. Just need a few Jehova's witnesses to knock on my door.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I know someone who used to work in the courts and jurors were referred to as jurons as anyone with any brains managed to get out of duty and only the thick or self important ones turned up.
    Not since the rules changed under the Criminal Justice Act 2003. Nowadays you
    People who are unable to sit at the time they have been summoned will be offered deferral to a more convenient time. Only those who prove they cannot serve at any time in the 12 months from the date they are summoned will be excused, and then only in exceptional circumstances. from Fewer now exempt from jury service - Telegraph
    and yes they do enforce it. I was not expecting exemption only postponement until next summer.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I know someone who used to work in the courts and jurors were referred to as jurons as anyone with any brains managed to get out of duty and only the thick or self important ones turned up.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    do you mind if I wear my BNP lapel badge should be enough.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    so what is the right phrase?
    Kill them all and let got decide!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Its available for an appropriate fee. PM me for details and rates....

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Just about the only excuse is

Anything else will result in you being transferred to another trial..

Oh and you can still get out if you know the right phrase to use. I got full exemption in September (would have liked to have done it but it arrived the day after Mrs Eek left work).

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Only £300 a day, even suity is worth more than that!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Does getting convicted exempt you from further jury duty?
    Just about the only excuse is
    You have been sentenced to prison, youth custody or community service within the last ten years; - See more at: Who is Exempt from Jury Service? | Jury Service
    Anything else will result in you being transferred to another trial..

Oh and you can still get out if you know the right phrase to use. I got full exemption in September (would have liked to have done it but it arrived the day after Mrs Eek left work).

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Does getting convicted exempt you from further jury duty?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    started a topic Who from here is this

Who from here is this

from News and photo gallery of UK courts, court and professional disciplinary cases

A juror is facing arrest after he demanded £300 a day to sit on a trial. James Whittaker scrawled obscenities on his jury summons and said he would not attend unless he was given a £78,000 salary. Whittaker had been due to join other jurors at Southwark Crown Court trying cases over a two-week period at the court beginning on September 2 this year. But he ignored a further summons ordering him to explain himself or be held in contempt of court, and didn't bother to show up. Whittaker then repeatedly dodged letters including a summons hand delivered by bailiffs, after persuading a woman to pretend he no longer lived at his address in Hampstead Heath, northwest London. The runaway juror could now face up to two years in jail or an unlimited fine. - See more at: News and photo gallery of UK courts, court and professional disciplinary cases

Working...
X