• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hands Free not enough"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    never watched it!

My brother said it was good but it seemed to pass me by.
    It's an animated documentary about life in the north.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    never watched it!

My brother said it was good but it seemed to pass me by.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I want to live in your world!

Is it full of Unicorns n Rainbows?
    Er, not exactly

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    So basically, we should equip pedestrians with a supply of cricket balls to throw at the windscreens of passing motorists?

That sounds like a recipe for trouble.
    I want to live in your world!

Is it full of Unicorns n Rainbows?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    But how do you know if those people still wouldn't have noticed someone walking across a crossing if they hadn't been on their mobiles?

The human brain can cope with this sort of thing. If somebody throws a ball at your head, you're going to duck. You don't have to be concentrating on looking out for somebody throwing a ball to the exclusion of everything else. It's only a problem driving if you a) aren't actually looking, or b) aren't physically able to control the car because you don't have your hands on the controls.
    Read my full post again including the bit you cut off at the end.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    The human brain can cope with this sort of thing. If somebody throws a ball at your head, you're going to duck. You don't have to be concentrating on looking out for somebody throwing a ball to the exclusion of everything else. It's only a problem driving if you a) aren't actually looking, or b) aren't physically able to control the car because you don't have your hands on the controls.
    So basically, we should equip pedestrians with a supply of cricket balls to throw at the windscreens of passing motorists?

That sounds like a recipe for trouble.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You need to be able to switch your attention quickly which if you see some people on their mobiles they clearly can't do.

I've nearly been mowed down by people on the phone as they haven't noticed there is actually someone walking across a crossing.
    But how do you know if those people still wouldn't have noticed someone walking across a crossing if they hadn't been on their mobiles?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's impossible to tell if someone's drunk from outside the car, or high on drugs. Those are both specifically illegal.
    yeah now your argument has more holes than a colander

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    It's impossible to tell if someone's drunk from outside the car, or high on drugs. Those are both specifically illegal.
    Apart from them swerving all over the road and crashing into lamposts.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    It's impossible to tell if someone is using hands free from outside the car, it's impossible to enforce. They may as well ban thinking about sex while driving.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I don't see why this is so hard to understand.
    Having tried to explain various things to you about exercise, religion, diet, science etc this comes as no suprise to me.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    yes indeed the point is many things can cause a lack of due care and attention when driving.

Talking is one of them - therefore talking on a hands free kit is one of them

but it is impossible to enforce so don't!

that fact is there is a law against driving with a lack of due care and attention - so lets just leave it there shall we!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    To be fair, due care and attention is subjective, whereas having an explicit law about mobile phones means if the police see someone holding a phone whilst driving they can just stop them without having to have an argument.

I'd rather see harsher penalties for accidents. If everyone that cause even a minor bump had to go to prison for a week, you wouldn't need all the nanny state laws. Punish me for what I do wrong, not what you think I might do wrong.

Of course in reality driving doesn't require your full attention, but you can't say that without people thinking you're some kind of child killing monster.
    You need to be able to switch your attention quickly which if you see some people on their mobiles they clearly can't do.

I've nearly been mowed down by people on the phone as they haven't noticed there is actually someone walking across a crossing.

Then again some people who have chats to their adult passengers should be done.....

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    I don't see why this is so hard to understand. Existing laws say driving without paying proper attention is illegal. If specific activities are known to cause distraction, better to explicitly ban them rather than let the driver make the decision what they can or can't do safely because so many idiots will say "I'm such a great driver, I can talk on the phone while eating a sandwich, smoking and getting a hand-job all at once and still be safer than most other road users".

We don't hear anyone suggesting the drink-driving laws be removed since driving while drunk would already be covered by general driving laws.

Oh... maybe those struggling with the idea of their freedoms being eroded ARE the idiots described above?
    It's impossible to tell if someone is using hands free from outside the car, it's impossible to enforce. They may as well ban thinking about sex while driving.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I don't see why this is so hard to understand. Existing laws say driving without paying proper attention is illegal. If specific activities are known to cause distraction, better to explicitly ban them rather than let the driver make the decision what they can or can't do safely because so many idiots will say "I'm such a great driver, I can talk on the phone while eating a sandwich, smoking and getting a hand-job all at once and still be safer than most other road users".

We don't hear anyone suggesting the drink-driving laws be removed since driving while drunk would already be covered by general driving laws.

Oh... maybe those struggling with the idea of their freedoms being eroded ARE the idiots described above?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X