• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hands Free not enough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    So why do we need more laws if this is already illegal?
    Because there is not enough prosecutions.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So why do we need more laws if this is already illegal?
      Because we are a nation of potato heads obsessed with getting away with as much as possible.

We should ban people. That would make the world a better place.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Because there is not enough prosecutions.
        So shouldn't we just be enforcing the driving with due care laws?
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Having an in-depth conversation DOES distract you from the road, whether with someone inside the car or on the phone. That's why driving while distracted is already illegal.
          So does thinking about something, what's next thought police?

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
            So does thinking about something, what's next thought police?
            They should introduce some law which requires you to have due care and attention whilst driving, regardless of exactly what might be distracting you ... oh ... hang on ...

Comment

So shouldn't we just be enforcing the driving with due care laws?
              That costs money in policing.

Introducing an ill thought out law that won't be enforced is cheaper.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

What about the hidden costs to British business of preventing gobtulipes from gabbling away while they are on the road?
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

That costs money in policing.

To be fair, due care and attention is subjective, whereas having an explicit law about mobile phones means if the police see someone holding a phone whilst driving they can just stop them without having to have an argument.

I'd rather see harsher penalties for accidents. If everyone that cause even a minor bump had to go to prison for a week, you wouldn't need all the nanny state laws. Punish me for what I do wrong, not what you think I might do wrong.

Of course in reality driving doesn't require your full attention, but you can't say that without people thinking you're some kind of child killing monster.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    To be fair, due care and attention is subjective, whereas having an explicit law about mobile phones means if the police see someone holding a phone whilst driving they can just stop them without having to have an argument.

I'd rather see harsher penalties for accidents. If everyone that cause even a minor bump had to go to prison for a week, you wouldn't need all the nanny state laws. Punish me for what I do wrong, not what you think I might do wrong.

Of course in reality driving doesn't require your full attention, but you can't say that without people thinking you're some kind of child killing monster.
                    Oh yeah? Killed any children lately, you monster?!??!!??

Comment

I don't see why this is so hard to understand. Existing laws say driving without paying proper attention is illegal. If specific activities are known to cause distraction, better to explicitly ban them rather than let the driver make the decision what they can or can't do safely because so many idiots will say "I'm such a great driver, I can talk on the phone while eating a sandwich, smoking and getting a hand-job all at once and still be safer than most other road users".

We don't hear anyone suggesting the drink-driving laws be removed since driving while drunk would already be covered by general driving laws.

Oh... maybe those struggling with the idea of their freedoms being eroded ARE the idiots described above?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X