• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "PC World Cash Back... What is the point."

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    10% discount to match apple's price.
    10% cashback being offered from pc world on a cashback site for any laptop purchase.
    8% saving by buying discounted gift card earlier in the week knowing about the latter offer.

Multiple discounts allowed in one items? Rookie retailer error alert...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Twice in a month, I've wanted to give them my money and they don't have the item available. edit : I actually emailed their Customer Support at the end of last week to ask WTF is going on.
    Maybe they were just trying to increase footfall and then sell you some extended warranty?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Well fair enough, I guess I just never think of using them
    always worth a look - just use it as 'another' option though.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Impressive!

This from Pee See world ?
    yep. It was just a matter of adding all the potential discounts available on Black Friday last year...

10% discount to match apple's price.
    10% cashback being offered from pc world on a cashback site for any laptop purchase.
    8% saving by buying discounted gift card earlier in the week knowing about the latter offer.

The VAT is from being on flat rate VAT and going over £2000 (I bought an ipad 4 and network cable at the same time)

Granted I hit lucky and saved £150 more than I expected to because of black friday but it merely took a little bit of preparation....

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    I bought my Toshiba laptop from there last year - current laptop had died and I needed one as I was flying off to the client site. Was significantly cheaper than anywhere else that I could find.

In an ideal world, I'd have had a custom laptop built, but I needed something that week and this one was £200 to £300 cheaper than anything else comparable.
    Well fair enough, I guess I just never think of using them

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Yes, the ads pull you in to the store.

They did a really bad job of selling you an alternative product, which is their intent

EDIT: also, are they EVER cheaper than buying online from Amazon? So you have to wait 24 hours to get the item
    I bought my Toshiba laptop from there last year - current laptop had died and I needed one as I was flying off to the client site. Was significantly cheaper than anywhere else that I could find.

In an ideal world, I'd have had a custom laptop built, but I needed something that week and this one was £200 to £300 cheaper than anything else comparable.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    <snip>

actual cost to me £1085 roughly....

and at that price it was very hard to turn down.....
    Impressive!

This from Pee See world ?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

They did a really bad job of selling you an alternative product, which is their intent

EDIT: also, are they EVER cheaper than buying online from Amazon? So you have to wait 24 hours to get the item
    I find them cheap on apple products by the time I deduct the 8% I save by purchasing a gift card in advance (thanks HSBC) and toss in the cashback you can get.

When you look at what I paid for my macbook pro last year compared to the full retail price it is a scary difference.

Retail £1799.99
    Black Friday price £1619.99

actual cash paid £1490.40
    -VAT saving £270
    -topcashback £135

actual cost to me £1085 roughly....

and at that price it was very hard to turn down.....

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    PC world are all about shifting cheap tulip at maximum mark up.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I went to buy a laptop on special offer at pissy world and was told there was on five in the country at the time of advertising

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    yep,...

and in fact even if they do have the stock you want actually getting some pimply faced mouth breather to commence some form of commercial transactions is like pulling fooking teeth

just take my fookin money

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    I had this issue the other week, wanted to buy a laptop for my daughter for her studies (she's nearly 24) went into PCW and saw a very nicely specified Asus on display, NO STOCK!!!

Twice in a month, I've wanted to give them my money and they don't have the item available.

edit : I actually emailed their Customer Support at the end of last week to ask WTF is going on.
    Argue about the waste of time going to get something, and they might send for a £10 voucher.

Which you can't spend because they have no stock

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I went to buy a laptop on special offer at pissy world and was told there was on five in the country at the time of advertising
    I had this issue the other week, wanted to buy a laptop for my daughter for her studies (she's nearly 24) went into PCW and saw a very nicely specified Asus on display, NO STOCK!!!

Twice in a month, I've wanted to give them my money and they don't have the item available.

edit : I actually emailed their Customer Support at the end of last week to ask WTF is going on.
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 18 November 2013, 08:10.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Give me strength. A company the size of Currys/PCW World and they don't have any available.
    PCW was tulip 10 years ago when ecommerce was only starting up, only useful to see real product (if they have it on demo) or for emergency purchases.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X