• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Website/logo companies? do it myself? advice"

Collapse

• BigRed
    replied
    It's a tricky issue. Most logos have no relationship to the company name at all, think Nike, Twitter, Bupa etc. Several have at least a nodding acquaintance to the name, McDonalds, KFC, Kelloggs, Boots. Next think about how it will appear on a letterhead, business card, web site dark/light background, greyscale.

I have pretty good Photoshop skills but I found myself vacillating between different options and still haven't really settled on a solution. I think if you are a small copany and know you are not going to become an international name it is best to do your company name or initials in a colourful 3D style font with a reflection/drop shadow/gradient. There is no easy answer.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Why would having a MyCo website stop the client interviewing you, unless its completely crap, but then if it was why would you have one
    You asked what harm it MIGHT do? I know it's not likely but it is possible...

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Show up on Google and stop the client interviewing you?
    Why would having a MyCo website stop the client interviewing you, unless its completely crap, but then if it was why would you have one

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    For £17 a year how much harm can it do?
    Show up on Google and stop the client interviewing you?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post

Surely for a one-man-band contracting co, unless you offer web design as a skill,a website is just a vanity project and a logo a complete waste of time? You're not Google FFS. Has anybody actually got any work via a personal website? What does a personal site give you that LinkedIn + Jobserve + agencies don't?
    For £17 a year how much harm can it do?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    What does a personal site give you that LinkedIn + Jobserve + agencies don't?
    panache.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Worst Client Comments Turned Into Posters

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Surely for a one-man-band contracting co, unless you offer web design as a skill,a website is just a vanity project and a logo a complete waste of time? You're not Google FFS. Has anybody actually got any work via a personal website? What does a personal site give you that LinkedIn + Jobserve + agencies don't?
    I have got a couple of contracts plus other contacts via mine. It was pretty basic, no logo, couple of pictures and some skill plus project details although my host company now provides Wordpress so currently redesigning it. Admittedly my field is not too large so a search on certain keywords through Google does tend to throw it up...

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    Logo design, step-by-step

1. Open Word,
    2. Type the initial letters of myCo name (works best with three-word names).
    3. Change font to 72pt, Tahoma, Italic, (underline to taste).
    4. Change font color to gray-blue, or similar.
    5. Screen-capture, crop in MS Paint and save as JPG.
    6. Job done.

I don't actually have a logo, on invoices etc I just write the company name in 50% grey, arial 20pt, all-caps. I confess I started a website many moons ago but abandoned it as nobody ever went there.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    To OP, you have a PM.

qh
    I hope it's not suity.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Scotterscot über alles
    I like it.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    And don't forget to do all your text in Comic Sans MS

Leave a comment:

• LazyFan
    replied
    Google Sites is free and has templates.

Logo Design, Graphic Design and Web Design | DesignCrowd can be used to put a brief out there for Logo Design. And starts at around $100 per contest.
    This way you get lots of designs and you can pick the best from the bunch.

I have a logo compo on there now and its over 30 designs submitted.
    There are some others out there if you do not like that one.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    To OP, you have a PM.

qh

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    what do you mean "don't need to worry" - most web access now is from smartphones and tablets - full desktop sized web pages are old hat now!
    Exactly that. Just implement something quickly and worry about improving it later. If you get too clever you will spend ages getting things perfect and never do anything.

As it's in a cms you can change the style whenever you want so can go responsive later if you want yo.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X