• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are you brainier than a chimp?"

Collapse

• KentPhilip
    replied
    I would say the average BBC journalist is as thick as a monkey

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    The article doesn't make sense. Rosling is reported as saying that the people polled knew "less about the world than chimpanzees". However, it then goes on to quote him as saying "If for each question I wrote each of the possible alternatives on bananas, and asked chimpanzees in the zoo to pick the right answers, and by picking the right bananas, they'd just pick bananas at random. But the Brits did even worse." As far as I can tell from that rather oddly-phrased statement, he's saying that the chimps would select bananas purely at random, and that the British people polled did worse than random.

But that doesn't mean there is any comparison between levels of intelligence, or even knowledge, going on. The chimps aren't having their intelligence levels measured; they're being used as random number generators. If a human chooses A as an answer to a particular question, it will be because they've used their cognitive abilities combined with their knowledge of the world to work out what the correct answer is; the hypothetical ape just grabs a banana at random, let's say B. If it turns out the ape has the right answer, it doesn't make the ape brainier than the human; if the positions are reversed, it doesn't imply that the human is smarter than the ape.

All that getting a score worse than random implies is that a non-random method was used to choose the answers. It says nothing about relative intelligence of species. Anyway, they didn't even use any apes; who's to say that real chimps would produce a truly random response?

Incidentally, I would assume this is sloppy journalism, as is most reporting on scientific matters. This seems to be confirmed by reading Rosling's own, chimp-free, summary of the findings. You can find out more about Rosling's Gapminder project at The Ignorance Project.
    WHS - The whole chimp thing is completely irrelevant and as daft as a brush.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    The article doesn't make sense. Rosling is reported as saying that the people polled knew "less about the world than chimpanzees". However, it then goes on to quote him as saying "If for each question I wrote each of the possible alternatives on bananas, and asked chimpanzees in the zoo to pick the right answers, and by picking the right bananas, they'd just pick bananas at random. But the Brits did even worse." As far as I can tell from that rather oddly-phrased statement, he's saying that the chimps would select bananas purely at random, and that the British people polled did worse than random.

But that doesn't mean there is any comparison between levels of intelligence, or even knowledge, going on. The chimps aren't having their intelligence levels measured; they're being used as random number generators. If a human chooses A as an answer to a particular question, it will be because they've used their cognitive abilities combined with their knowledge of the world to work out what the correct answer is; the hypothetical ape just grabs a banana at random, let's say B. If it turns out the ape has the right answer, it doesn't make the ape brainier than the human; if the positions are reversed, it doesn't imply that the human is smarter than the ape.

All that getting a score worse than random implies is that a non-random method was used to choose the answers. It says nothing about relative intelligence of species. Anyway, they didn't even use any apes; who's to say that real chimps would produce a truly random response?

Incidentally, I would assume this is sloppy journalism, as is most reporting on scientific matters. This seems to be confirmed by reading Rosling's own, chimp-free, summary of the findings. You can find out more about Rosling's Gapminder project at The Ignorance Project.
    However... the ape ends up with a load of bananas and the human has just wasted a proportion of his/her life on a ridiculous quiz. Who's smarter now?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
    Only look at the pictures...
    Ah you see, the Daily Wail has ways of making you thick.

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Do you read the Daily Mail?
    Only look at the pictures...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

I know, but don't tell the chimps.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
    Hhhmmm, scored 1

Do you read the Daily Mail?

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    Hhhmmm, scored 1

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Ook.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    started a topic Are you brainier than a chimp?

Are you brainier than a chimp?

When pollsters got 1,000 British people to take Rosling's "ignorance survey" in May this year, the results suggested they knew "less about the world than chimpanzees", he says.

Do the test, scratch your armpits, and shout 'ooh ooh ooh' here;

BBC News - Hans Rosling: Do you know more about the world than a chimpanzee?

I got 7/9, making me a 'Great Ape'!

Working...
X