• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Morning' mouse potatoes"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    You shouldn't refer to yourself so harshly. Fair enough that people think it, but to realise their observations is quite uncalled for.
    Unfortunately it's printed on my name badge.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    A mate of mine has a Gordon Setter called Bennett. I wonder what percentage of Gordon Setters are called Bennett - I suspect it's quite high.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Gordon Bennett came from this chap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gordon_Bennett,_Jr.

He was a pilot, who would dive bomb people on the ground, who would exclaim "there goes Gordon Bennett" with surprise
    Shortened to "Gordon Bennett!"
    I believe the use of his name as an exclamation long predates the Wright Brothers' infernal invention:
    "However, he often scandalized society with his flamboyant and sometimes erratic behavior. In 1877, he left New York for Europe after an incident that ended his engagement to socialite Caroline May. According to various accounts, he arrived late and drunk to a party at the May family mansion, then urinated into a fireplace (some say grand piano) in full view of his hosts."

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I often use this at work. Urban Dictionary: cuntractor
    You shouldn't refer to yourself so harshly. Fair enough that people think it, but to realise their observations is quite uncalled for.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Some wicked ones in here:
    BBC News - The joy of slang

There are some really nice ones in the article, mouse potato (for those who spend too much time on PCs) and wi-five (an electronically delivered high-five) gave me a giggle.

I like some of the older ones as well. I still say "Gordon Bennett" a lot, my mum told me the other day that I started saying it when I was four or five, she doesn't know where it came from.

Any of you lot still use any old quaint sayings? Or are you street enough to know what chirpsing and bennin are?
    I often use this at work. Urban Dictionary: cuntractor

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Gordon Bennett came from this chap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gordon_Bennett,_Jr.

He was a pilot, who would dive bomb people on the ground, who would exclaim "there goes Gordon Bennett" with surprise
    Shortened to "Gordon Bennett!"

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I say Gordon Bennett sometimes. ISTR reading somewhere that he was an American journalist in the early 20th century, and notorious for his occasionally erratic behaviour and in particular for driving like a maniac.
    Yep, me too. We must getting on!!! Wasn't there an Isle of Man Gordon Bennett TT race? I also say jammy and cor blimey still...

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I like some of the older ones as well. I still say "Gordon Bennett" a lot, my mum told me the other day that I started saying it when I was four or five, she doesn't know where it came from.

Any of you lot still use any old quaint sayings? Or are you street enough to know what chirpsing and bennin are?
    I say Gordon Bennett sometimes. ISTR reading somewhere that he was an American journalist in the early 20th century, and notorious for his occasionally erratic behaviour and in particular for driving like a maniac.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    <creeps off to play IRL... >

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    There is a real life?
    I think it's what the under 25's have. It was some time around then that it all started to go pear-shaped. Or maybe it was just a co-incidence that I got my first 56K modem at that point...

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    There is a real life?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    started a topic Morning' mouse potatoes

Morning' mouse potatoes

Some wicked ones in here:
    BBC News - The joy of slang

There are some really nice ones in the article, mouse potato (for those who spend too much time on PCs) and wi-five (an electronically delivered high-five) gave me a giggle.

Working...
X