• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Apple's new strategic direction"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    The fanboi is strong in this one.
    Ha ha not so actually. I don't even own a Mac.

If you think that anyone who argues against a poorly constructed argument is a fanboi, then you're a moron.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Unless we get the new Mac Pro, probably only product refresh.

Apple are biding their time waiting to see what the next opportunity is. As Nick said, these things don't come along every year and people have to be at the right point of receptiveness.
    Mac Pro? Wasn't that already announced? Is that the round black bin computer?

How about iRing a device you wear on your finger.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    Why don't you tell what Apple will release next then
    Because I don't know and am not prepared to make silly guesses based on flawed thinking.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Being first isn't the point, being actually useful is the point. The Samsung basically doesn't do anything:
    the Galaxy Gear's main use is to notify you of happenings on your phone

IBM sensibly sold its laptop division to Lenovo when it became clear that it couldn't make money / compete. Seems they might do the same with their Intel server line too. What's the point in trying to compete in a market where you know you'll lose / are losing? Apple sensibly decided to focus on its core strengths instead of competing with HP/Dell.

Several flawed premises in there. Stick do the day job. Poor analysis.

In your opinion. While it's unlikely (in my opinion) that Apple would go into those markets, if they could produce a top-end innovative and easy to use product, why not? Have you seen this:
    Apple iPod creator releases smoke alarm | Associated News

My advice to anyone who doesn't like their products, thinks their strategy is bad or says they are overpriced is simple: don't buy Apple. What's the problem? What's the constant need to say "yours in crap therefore mine is better".
    The fanboi is strong in this one.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Why don't you tell what Apple will release next then

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Isn't there a Apple conference this month? Maybe we will see something new.
    Unless we get the new Mac Pro, probably only product refresh.

Apple are biding their time waiting to see what the next opportunity is. As Nick said, these things don't come along every year and people have to be at the right point of receptiveness.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    The iWatch will not be first to market, Samsung have got their first
    Being first isn't the point, being actually useful is the point. The Samsung basically doesn't do anything:
    the Galaxy Gear's main use is to notify you of happenings on your phone

Apple stopped making decent servers
    IBM sensibly sold its laptop division to Lenovo when it became clear that it couldn't make money / compete. Seems they might do the same with their Intel server line too. What's the point in trying to compete in a market where you know you'll lose / are losing? Apple sensibly decided to focus on its core strengths instead of competing with HP/Dell.

The only real market is iPhones, and they're fast approaching being fast enough to run anything and new features are just gimmicks...as soon as they stop being status symbols (Hello Blackberry this used to be you) sales will flatline

I don't think trying to sell iOvens and iLightfittings of the back of the iWatch will be enough
    In your opinion. While it's unlikely (in my opinion) that Apple would go into those markets, if they could produce a top-end innovative and easy to use product, why not? Have you seen this:
    Apple iPod creator releases smoke alarm | Associated News

My advice to anyone who doesn't like their products, thinks their strategy is bad or says they are overpriced is simple: don't buy Apple. What's the problem? What's the constant need to say "yours in crap therefore mine is better".

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Isn't there a Apple conference this month? Maybe we will see something new.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Who in 2000 who'd have thought that you wouldn't be able to buy an IBM PC anymore ?
    I thought the writing was on the wall once EISA had trounced MCA in the Nineties, TBH.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    You think they will start making iHoovers?
    I can imagine plebs paying a fortune for a hoover just because it's got rounded corners and white paint job

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    What would you have said was Apple's next big thing in 2000? In 2006? In 2009? Would you have been correct?
    No, but I wouldn't have imagined Blackberry becoming extinct either and their sole existence depended on being a status symbol as well

Who in 2000 who'd have thought that you wouldn't be able to buy an IBM PC anymore ?

They will survive, but they're glory days aren't exactly guaranteed.. Any major transistion like that is a big gamble

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    There's still never been a shred of evidence that Apple is even planning to make a watch. It'd be pretty funny if Samsung spent all that money making one and Apple turned out - as is often the case - to be moving in a completely different direction.
    I thought that myself a few months ago.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald
    The iWatch will not be first to marker, Samsung have got their first
    There's still never been a shred of evidence that Apple is even planning to make a watch. It'd be pretty funny if Samsung spent all that money making one and Apple turned out - as is often the case - to be moving in a completely different direction.

Being prepared to give up on a market when it's clear there's no long-term business there is sensible. Linux owns the server OS market, and the hardware is commodity stuff, and very often virtual.

Macbooks are fast enough to not need to upgrade for years, same for the newer iPads
    Well, they've all got at least 640K, and that should be enough for anybody, right?

The only real market is iPhones, and they're fast approaching being fast enough to run anything and new features are just gimmicks...as soon as they stop being status symbols (Hello Blackberry this used to be you) sales will flatline

I don't think trying to sell iOvens and iLightfittings of the back of the iWatch will be enough
    What would you have said was Apple's next big thing in 2000? In 2006? In 2009? Would you have been correct?

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    What makes you think all Apple will ever do henceforth is produce new models of iPhone?
    The iWatch will not be first to market, Samsung have got their first

Macbooks are fast enough to not need to upgrade for years, same for the newer iPads

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Because since Jobs died that's what they have done. Tim Cook has a innovation vacuum field.
    iPod: 2001. iPhone: 2007. iPad: 2010.

Steve Jobs died two years ago. How frequently do you think they need to produce a groundbreaking new product, given that they got where they are by doing so every three to six years?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X