• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UK high streets to house more crappy Chinese imports"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Anyway, the point I was making is that the Chinese do actually make some cool stuff in addition to lots of cheap tat. Here is an example.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    A thousand less shops full of staff who won't be on benefits anymore (or will be on reduced benefits).

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Yes, I like to keep abreast of such things, as I have an interest in electronics & manufacturing technology.
    I work for one such Singapore manufacturer from time to time. I assist with the preparation of models so that they may identify weaknesses in the production, using probabilistic methods and such like. I'm very confident no Chinese manufacturer comes even close to this level of analysis. But they're learning.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Then take that and make it your business model to make millions. I reckon you'll be bankrupt in a week however.

If you want high quality you assemble abroad in sweatshops, if you want strikes you make in England, and if you want quality & design in the same place you make it in Germany unlike the iPhone.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Many of the high quality components are manufactured in Taiwan, Singapore, Korea, or Japan, but certainly not China. My goodness do people back home know anything of the outside world when it comes to who the global players are?.
    Yes, I like to keep abreast of such things, as I have an interest in electronics & manufacturing technology.

Chinese companies move into supply chain for Apple components - FT.com

Plus of course China is a good place to get plastic and CNC machined metal and wooden items made.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    It's not a high end product though, it's over priced tat for hipsters with a huge mark up
    Then take that and make it your business model to make millions. I reckon you'll be bankrupt in a week however.

If you want high quality you assemble abroad, if you want strikes you make in England, and if you want quality & design in the same place you make it in Germany.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Are you really as stupid as you come across? Serious question.
    I think there's overwhelming proof the answer is affirmative.
    Keep digging though, you do such a great job of exposing your imbecility, we can just sit back and let it unfold.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    We'll start by speaking our own language properly.
    Speak for yourself!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    We are the world leaders in manufacturing wealth through Ponzi debt.

Just get in and out at the right time and you're laughing.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Do you think they ship the components to China from California, assemble it in China and then ship it to your shiny shop in Euroland?

From raw metal, glass, silicon, rare earth metals to the shiny cardboard box it came in, it's manufactured in China.

You really are a clown.
    Where did I say that? I'm sure you're reading the threads but is the information passing through your pupils absent of any processing? I mean dam.

Many of the high quality components are manufactured in Taiwan, Singapore, Korea, or Japan, but certainly not China. My goodness do people back home know anything of the outside world when it comes to who the global players are?

It's all very worrying. Just keep doing the shopping, let the rest of the world worry about the 'manufacturing'.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Not something you can afford why making a high end product.
    It's not a high end product though, it's over priced tat for hipsters with a huge mark up

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    How is the UK ever going to become a leading manufacturer is keeping believing this?
    We'll start by speaking our own language properly.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Where do you think the screens, digitisers, sockets, aluminium alloy, circuit board and electrical components come from? Almost none of the detailed design of those will have been designed in California. In fact nearly all the really clever stuff (ARM core + PowerVR stuff) was designed in the UK. All apple have done is plugged stuff together and contracted out the manufacturer.
    I don't disagree. The muppets before you claimed the product was manufactured in China, which is what I'm disputing. The product is the work of manufactures around the word, it was simply assembled in China because it was cheaper to do so.

Much of the electronics do not come from China, yes them make them, but if you're manufacturer worth your salt you'll avoid them such is the variance in quality, drifting parameter changes and such like. Not something you can afford why making a high end product.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Do you think they ship the components to China from California, assemble it in China and then ship it to your shiny shop in Euroland?

From raw metal, glass, silicon, rare earth metals to the shiny cardboard box it came in, it's manufactured in China.

You really are a clown.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    So retail, after sales support and end of life recycling are manufacture?

Go and look up manufacturing in the dictionary. Then look up codswallop.
    The point I'm making Rimmer is the product is assembled 'to put together' get it? Manufacturing encompasses a whole range of topics that include mass production that consider things such as product reliability, highly accelerated life testing (conducted in the US). In fact many of the components used to build an iPhone are not even made in China, which is been claimed. This is the worrying part that you're not getting. How is the UK ever going to become a leading manufacturer is keeping believing this? Doomed I tell yah, doomed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X