• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is the best comment in source code you have ever encountered?"

Collapse

• CoolCat
    replied
    Left by a friend (lets call him Fred) who had left a few months previously in a very obscure part of a very big lot of code which had :

/* Dear CoolCat, I knew you would get here eventually I know there are major problems in here somewhere, I spent 3 months trying to figure out whats going on, but I couldn’t solve it, good luck Fred */

or on another project there was a routine that went

if (cfweweew) then

elseif (efqercqre) then

elseif (eqerce) then

and so on all the way down to

else

/* its impossible to get here */

print to all the senior management consoles “TOTAL INTERNAL TULIP ERROR!!!”

endif

oh those were the days, now who took the call from senior managers saying why does my console say “TOTAL INTERNAL TULIP ERROR!!!”

happy days

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    /* This code is forked. See repository B. Tim Smith 05/07/07. */
    /* You ain't kidding it's forked. DP 17/09/13. */

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    //Fixed by AB
    //Made to work by XY

Leave a comment:

• CourtesyFlush
    replied
    In a very long sql stored proc :

//There's a problem somewhere between here

..... 500 lines of code

//and here and I'm buggered if I can find it.

The sproc was around 5000 lines long IIRC. This was at a very large trading floor in London.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    In a unix script for a bank back in the 90's...

## speed this up by replacing /dev/rmt0 with /dev/null

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Shouldn't that be FUKUP
    Good idea. I'll change the job name on our live server right now

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    // TODO
    // 1. Post on CUK
    // 2. Get phone number of girl in accounts
    // 3. Send invoice
    // 4. Get contract renewed AND THEN
    // 5. Remove this TODO list from source code

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    A file in the middle of a hideous 3G telecoms algorithm had not changed for years and the last change was:

// this does not work, will fix it

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    1. you will never figure this code out - this is the recipe for a really good cocktail instead <recipe listed>.
    2. this is a pdp 11-70 not the starship enterprise.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Code:
    // We're going to need some better programmers

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    "Full UK backup"
    was abbreviated to: fuk
    Shouldn't that be FUKUP

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    ...'this shouldn't happen'
    Now a feature of many languages : ASSERT.

// I have used "HIPPOTAMUS" as the EOF marker, as there is no EOF marker in this sorry excuse for a language.

The language was RPF - ROSCOE Programming Facility.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    "Full UK backup"
    was abbreviated to: fuk

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Related: when I was writing game conversions in the 80s, some publishers would insist on a cheat code in the game. The idea was that once the initial sales had died down, the games mags would publish the cheat code, and it would boost sales briefly. (Yes, all those "secret cheat codes" in the games mags were actually given to them by the publishers. You were fourteen and thought it was a real secret. Not your fault.)

All mine were abuse directed at the leader of the government and her cronies. They didn't get published

Leave a comment:

• SunnyInHades
    replied
    // If reach here the unit is on fire

Leave a comment:

Working...
X