• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should the BoE choke off our last remaining growth industry?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Spoiled my vote since it's a multiple choice yes/no and it's a public poll.
    f**k that. It was a good AndyW option and that is what counts.....

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Which could be removed via a marriage tax.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Spoiled my vote since it's a multiple choice yes/no and it's a public poll.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Which could be removed via a mansion tax.
    and those billionaires with many houses...and not paying any Council tax what so ever? Yeah that needs sorting out too.

But stay away from my cash in hand...I'm just a pleb.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    One obvious move would be to introduce a tax on coffee similar to the duty on alcohol or cigarettes. It should apply to all caffeinated beverages except tea.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    Resolve that and you start introducing loopholes for the rich to exploit
    Which could be removed via a mansion tax.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    As if any of the bankers would allow that to happen! Mr. Osborne is counting on this housing boom - heck he's the one who's made it happen with state funds! If this is all Britain has as an economy we truly have gone down to a banana republic. all we need now is for some unruly dictator to take over.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Ah I thought you were implying extending capital gains tax to 50% of house price sales
    A simpler solution is the govt seize all private property and rent it to us at 100% of our take home pay, but provide free soup kitchens in return.

Labour policy 2015 I believe.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Ah I thought you were implying extending capital gains tax to 50% of house price sales
    The 50% part will be covered by VAT

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Why? It's only the profit that's taxed. They'd still have whatever their original equity was (assuming they didn't start with >100% mortgage), plus whatever they paid off, plus 50% of the price increase. That's not bankrupt.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    That would mean people who want to move house, but have little equity will be unable to move as they'd probably be bankrupt if they sell
    Why? It's only the profit that's taxed. They'd still have whatever their original equity was (assuming they didn't start with >100% mortgage), plus whatever they paid off, plus 50% of the price increase. That's not bankrupt.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    There is a simple solution and that's CGT (at 50%) all on property sales, including primary residence.

When calculating the gain, you are allowed to offset any large capital spends (e.g. extension) and the annual rate of inflation (calculated based on earning inflation) for the years you owned the property.

I would suggest this in place of stamp duty.

Other countries do this and it works well.

House prices can rise, but not faster than general level of wage inflation, if they do, only the govt wins.
    That would mean people who want to move house, but have little equity will be unable to move as they'd probably be bankrupt if they sell

Resolve that and you start introducing loopholes for the rich to exploit

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    There is a simple solution and that's CGT (at 50%) all on property sales, including primary residence.
    That does not solve the problem of people getting deep in debt just to have roof over heads, if anything such tax would increase value of houses because people will NEED more money to have in pocket after sale.

Solution is at least 5-6% interest rates and legal limit on max LTV - 3-4 annual salaries. That should be enough to put any Govt that implements it out of power for next 50 years...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

When calculating the gain, you are allowed to offset any large capital spends (e.g. extension) and the annual rate of inflation (calculated based on earning inflation) for the years you owned the property.

I would suggest this in place of stamp duty.

Other countries do this and it works well.

House prices can rise, but not faster than general level of wage inflation, if they do, only the govt wins.
    not so Dim prawn!

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Why should a government be allowed to interfere with a "free economy"?

The professionals are pretty tulip at moving markets in the way they want, So why would a civil servant have any better luck? We can't stop crashes and we can't even change the way they happen. Markets find their own way

Leave a comment:

Working...
X