• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Passwords

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Passwords"

Collapse

• convict
    replied
    Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    Mine's ********
    hunter2

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    It also means that if someone manages to get your password from one site it's nice and easy for them to guess what it is on other sites.

I prefer to put all my eggs in one basket and use Lastpass, and then pray that it's never hacked. Security vs convenience...
    I first translate it into hebrew so not as easy.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    It's important that you have different password for each webtulipe, so I use some leading unusual symbols, the domain /company name and some trailing unusual symbols. That way, the password is long, but easy to remember.
    It also means that if someone manages to get your password from one site it's nice and easy for them to guess what it is on other sites.

I prefer to put all my eggs in one basket and use Lastpass, and then pray that it's never hacked. Security vs convenience...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    apparently ebay.co.uk is a pretty decent password. contractoruk.com would take 2 billion years to crack, so we should probably all use that.
    It's important that you have different password for each webtulipe, so I use some leading unusual symbols, the domain /company name and some trailing unusual symbols. That way, the password is long, but easy to remember.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    There was a really good Gibson Research Paper about how crap most web services are at storing your passwords. I can't find it any more for some reason.
    Tell me about it - A couple of years ago I registered for some newsletter and chose a longish password. After then failing to log in, pasting the same string I had pasted into the registration form, I tried right-truncated versions until it succeeded when the length had been reduced to six characters or thereabouts!

So this mongish site had accepted my secure password, but stored only part of it (which also of course implies they stored the password itself and not a hash of it).

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Tell me what your password is and I will let you know how secure it is
    It is :

ISASGuru

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    apparently ebay.co.uk is a pretty decent password. contractoruk.com would take 2 billion years to crack, so we should probably all use that.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    Mine's ********
    Most/many sites wouldn't allow that.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    You've been reading the clientco phishing poster again haven't you...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    https://howsecureismypassword.net

This is a good site for showing you how bad your good ones are

There was a really good Gibson Research Paper about how crap most web services are at storing your passwords. I can't find it any more for some reason.
    The one I usually use is 6 years. The variation of that is 39 years.

current clientco has a long minimum password length. That would take 345 quintillion years to solve.

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Mine's ********

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Well it's bloody useless after you've typed it into some random website.
    Yes but it shows you the sort of shape length you need for a properly secure one.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    [---sasguruisthebiggesttwunteverandacretintoboot---]

including the [--- and the ---]

easy to remember too!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

Well it's bloody useless after you've typed it into some random website.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X