• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The F1 driver merry-go-round is officially started"

Collapse

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Agree completely. People say Massa's been under performing, but he's only been under permforming compared to probably the best driver in F1, and he's often been quite close to Alonso (outqualified him last weekend, and finished only a couple of seconds behind in the race). I'm not at all convinced that Raikonnen will do any better.

Seems Ferrari have finally confirmed Raikonnen. I still find it hard to believe.
    Not really. Massa has lost most of his speed. He was fairly quick, but inconsistent. Remember, Hamilton didn't have the quickest car in 2008, Ferrari did, and in that respect, Massa underperformed, as did Raikkonen as it happens (2008). The thing is, with Massa, is that he's underperformed, as a whole, since his accident. That means Ferrari have had poor showings in the WCC and I think it's for this, more than anything, that he's finally been shown the door.

I think Raikkonen will prove more than a handful for Alonso, and I can imagine Alonso getting the hearse about it PDQ if Raikkonen can show the speed he really does have in the locker. I can also imagine the amount of money he's been offered is ridiculously high too. Win/win for KR. Not too sure how this will sit with Alonso.

Interesting days at Maranello.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Saying Massa isn't as good as Alonso isn't a big criticism though, he's a bit special.
    Agree completely. People say Massa's been under performing, but he's only been under permforming compared to probably the best driver in F1, and he's often been quite close to Alonso (outqualified him last weekend, and finished only a couple of seconds behind in the race). I'm not at all convinced that Raikonnen will do any better.

Seems Ferrari have finally confirmed Raikonnen. I still find it hard to believe.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Saying Massa isn't as good as Alonso isn't a big criticism though, he's a bit special. Similar to men's tennis having lots of very good players but 2 or 3 at the very top in a separate league, in F1 currently we seem to have Alonso, Vettel, Kimi & Hamilton above the rest. You can still be very good without being one of them... Massa, Button, Rosberg.

The only open spot in a big team would be Lotus - they were very keen to keep Kimi so perhaps will consider Massa a decent replacement, especially if they do the sensible thing and dumb Grosjean.

I'd love to see Di Resta in a bigger team, but the thing is next year it's entirely possible we'll see someone do a Brawn, so moving anywhere except to one of the top 3/4 is very risky. You might find that like Hulkenberg, you'd have been better where you were!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Massa should get a seat, he is a better driver than people think.

His recent record doesn't look brilliant partly because he was never allowed to finish in front of Alonso. Before Alonso arrived at Ferrari, Massa was a point away from being world champion.
    I agree with you re: Massa being underrated, but in reality, Alonso is nearly always ahead of Massa on merit and it's rare that team orders are necessary. It was the same with the Schumacher-Barrichello situation. Lots of people went on about Barrichello having to be number 2, but in truth, Schumacher was faster.

Lotus will have Hulkenberg, who'd only signed for one year with Sauber and as Sauber look like they need two pay drivers there's no chance of him staying. Williams need Maldanado's money too much, but maybe they'd look at an alternative to Bottas, but only one with money. I think Force India will stay the same. Unfortunately all the midfield teams that might hire Massa need money more than experience.

Leave a comment:

• jeffpow10
    replied
    This is to be expected. When there is a vacancy at the best team on paper, a lot of such moves across teams should be expected. Massa is gone. And Raikkonnen replacing him is very much anticipated. But then again, he is the only one person who is unpredictable with his choices. This should hopefully be good news for sutil or hulkenberg. If not Massa, then who Lotus would have as a replacement is going to be something to watch for.

It was amazing to watch Sutil's progress during the initial half of this season. But then on the other hand, we have also seen him make some mistakes that would make us bet against him as well. We have to wait and watch as it unfurls. Only after the top rung teams fill in their positions would the mid and bottom teams be able to think of making their choices.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Agreed. But with Lotus, or filling the seat of whoever moves to Lotus? I wonder if he could go to Williams, they really need an experienced driver.
    But they need money too. They're making losses hand over fist. However, if they've signed for Mercedes, may be a seat worth having. Brawn is rumoured to have bought out Toto Wolff's shares too, making him a 15% owner of Williams...

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

His recent record doesn't look brilliant partly because he was never allowed to finish in front of Alonso. Before Alonso arrived at Ferrari, Massa was a point away from being world champion.
    He's only once or twice looked like showing any pace since then as well. Not really his fault, but Hungary 2009 was the end of him really as a racing driver. Ferrari held on to him as they felt emotionally attached to him, but he's never looked that good really. Despite, pretty much, having the best car in 2008, he lost. Maybe by only a point, but he still lost.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Agreed. But with Lotus, or filling the seat of whoever moves to Lotus? I wonder if he could go to Williams, they really need an experienced driver.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    With Ricciardo confirmed at Red Bull (obvious IMO), Massa has now officially announced he's leaving Ferrari. Raikonnen is 99% sure to be replacing him.

So now as well as all the hot young talent - Di Resta, Hulkenberg, etc - fighting for places in bigger teams (i.e. the Lotus seat) we have Massa looking for a drive. Chances Lotus would snap up Massa for the benefit of having a hugely experienced driver? Surely someone will want him?
    I think Di Resta is over-rated to be honest. Sutil is a stronger driver and he's not even 2nd tier.

Hulkenberg will do well wherever he goes, and I am hoping he get's a top seat soon. I think Lotus aren't very well funded, so a move there could be good business on both sides as they need a quick replacement for Kimi, and need not to have to pay him much, as they were with Kimi, occasionally...

Massa I can't see getting a seat. He has no money behind him, all of the top seats, aside from Lotus, have gone and the other seats all require a purse. It's also been pretty much conclusive he's lost what pace he did have.

For me, the seats, of interest, up for next year will be:

Williams - Will have one or both seats up, but need money.
    FI - Parent company (SAHARA) in financial do do, may take one pay driver.
    Sauber - In very deep financial do do, have already taken on young pay driver, and expect to see another, like Petrov, in the other seat.

So, realistically, I think there will be one paying drive left in the paddock.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Oh he might not have wanted a long contract - he's the one driver who might turn Ferrari down because he's bored.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    With Ricciardo confirmed at Red Bull (obvious IMO), Massa has now officially announced he's leaving Ferrari. Raikonnen is 99% sure to be replacing him.

So now as well as all the hot young talent - Di Resta, Hulkenberg, etc - fighting for places in bigger teams (i.e. the Lotus seat) we have Massa looking for a drive. Chances Lotus would snap up Massa for the benefit of having a hugely experienced driver? Surely someone will want him?
    Raikkonnen supposedly will get a 1 year deal with 1 year option so its only temporary. Although that could be because Alonso's contract also runs out in 2014.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic The F1 driver merry-go-round is officially started

The F1 driver merry-go-round is officially started

Working...
X