• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "OOP, RDBMS and BTEC"

Collapse

• CoolCat
    replied
    Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    University for me was about leaving home too. It was also the first time I had ever met people who were not lower middle class or below. There were lords in my college and 80% of students came from private schools. Now, I work with such people. My school peers have never even encountered such people and view them cynically. I am better off.

Getting a decent education is the best start you can get.
    Thats not the education you are rating thats the contacts you get. The old boys network and prejudice towards and against certain colleges and schools is alive and well.

Meritocracy is aint.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Did you have a period of taking drugs or alcohol?
    Alcohol yes. But no more than any of the other students..

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Natural Sciences for the first two years, then Electrical and Information Sciences.

You know I was quite intelligent when I went there.

Think it all went downhill when I joined up to this board...

Looking back, it surprises me too
    Did you have a period of taking drugs or alcohol?

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    I must say that surprises me. What did you read, English?
    Natural Sciences for the first two years, then Electrical and Information Sciences.

You know I was quite intelligent when I went there.

Think it all went downhill when I joined up to this board...

Looking back, it surprises me too

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied
    University for me was about leaving home too. It was also the first time I had ever met people who were not lower middle class or below. There were lords in my college and 80% of students came from private schools. Now, I work with such people. My school peers have never even encountered such people and view them cynically. I am better off.

Getting a decent education is the best start you can get.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    See my last point about graddies joining the company fast track scheme only to be there 10 years on... If thats thinking differently then thanks for clearing so many suckers out my way. I like Warren Buffets view on things: If you want to make Money then you need to do what the other 99% are not
    I didn't. I did what I needed to do at an industry leading company, in my area, then went contracting. Some stay, some don't. That's not dependent on being at Uni, it's dependent on who you are as a person, so your point is largely irrelevant.

Buffet actually said, the key to making money is to be scared when people are confident, and confident when they're scared; it's just simple advice for get off the carousel when everyone's trying to get on, and get back on when everyone is jumping off.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    I went to Oxbridge and never did any of that
    I must say that surprises me. What did you read, English?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I think a degree get's you to think differently, I also think it's a priceless ground for growing up, making friends and regardless what you think, if you don't have one, your CV will not make it to the final step, as companies will always use it to filter, regardless. You might be the best there is, but if you don't make it to the face to face, it's useless.

I have been saving money for my kids since their birth for Uni. By then, I think the chaff will not be studying anyway.

I think it's a must have, I really do.
    See my last point about graddies joining the company fast track scheme only to be there 10 years on... If thats thinking differently then thanks for clearing so many suckers out my way. I like Warren Buffets view on things: If you want to make Money then you need to do what the other 99% are not

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I think a degree get's you to think differently, I also think it's a priceless ground for growing up, making friends and regardless what you think, if you don't have one, your CV will not make it to the final step, as companies will always use it to filter, regardless. You might be the best there is, but if you don't make it to the face to face, it's useless.

I have been saving money for my kids since their birth for Uni. By then, I think the chaff will not be studying anyway.

I think it's a must have, I really do.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    University is not only about training to earn lots of money - I suspect that people who are motivated by money will find different ways to get it.
    It's about taking time off your life to dream, think, shag, fall in love, develop interests in various fields, generally grow and quite importantly make contacts.
    I went to Oxbridge and never did any of that
    It was a waste of time, and has done me no good at all. Other than having it as a "badge" on my CV to lure unsuspecting clients into thinking I am something special (I am not).

I only keep up with three people from uni, and they're all losers. Apart from one who somehow made it to director in a firm of accountants. And he is a geek.

I think sas you need to appreciate that not everyone has your amazing brains and abilities - some people need to know their place, and it ain't necessarily at the top of the pile.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    University is not only about training to earn lots of money - I suspect that people who are motivated by money will find different ways to get it.
    It's about taking time off your life to dream, think, shag, fall in love, develop interests in various fields, generally grow and quite importantly make contacts.
    Not counting the contacts I made in school (and whose network comes in handy still) at uni I met the following who I'm still in touch with:

1. Spanish minor royalty
    2. An "Honourable", Lord's son
    3. Scion of Italian dynastic business.
    4. Scion of German dynastic business.
    etc etc.

I've had one long-term contract through one of the above connections and have a nice extensive European network of people I can stay with abroad (and reciprocate of course).
    It may cost a bit to go, but if you go to the right one the benefits are priceless.

Also anecdotal evidence aside, I'm afraid a degree (and nowadays a bacelors isn't enough, you need a masters) is essential for the best jobs in blue-chips let alone large multinationals whether they be private companies, the EU or the UN.

And that is why I am already saving for SG junior's university fund.
    By your standards I achieved a degree at three universities while earning 20k a year as a tape swapping monkey

As my mates went off to get their degree I just set up a sofa surfing rota of free beer madness. £20k buys a hell of alot of beer at 40p a pint uni prices

The making contacts part is true but thats only if you get in the right university, the rest of the plebes are going to get lumbered at an ex-polytechnic and the only contact they will be making will be with the STD clinic.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Not counting the contacts I made in school (and whose network comes in handy still) at uni I met the following who I'm still in touch with:

1. Spanish minor royalty
    2. An "Honourable", Lord's son
    3. Scion of Italian dynastic business.
    4. Scion of German dynastic business.
    etc etc.

I've had one long-term contract through one of the above connections and have a nice extensive European network of people I can stay with abroad (and reciprocate of course).
    It may cost a bit to go, but if you go to the right one the benefits are priceless.

Also anecdotal evidence aside, I'm afraid a degree (and nowadays a bacelors isn't enough, you need a masters) is essential for the best jobs in blue-chips let alone large multinationals whether they be private companies, the EU or the UN.

And that is why I am already saving for SG junior's university fund.
    Last edited by sasguru; 11 September 2013, 08:03.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Going to uni means losing 10% of your income for many years in repayments. Unless you know what you want to do its a very expensive way of making your mind up.

The problem is that many areas which used to take people with 5 good o'levels now insist on a degree. Law is an area that does, accountancy looks like it does but actually doesn't and a few large firms now take on trainees with good A levels. If I was heading towards uni and thinking of becoming an accountant I would be trying to get on those schemes as well as uni and would bin uni if I got on one of the schemes.

See Audit Programme | School and College Leavers | KPMG Careers in the UK for one of the options.
    Yes sponsorship is a very good way to ensure you are trained properly and not wasting 3 years and a tonne of cash...

I wonder why you don't see more contractors taking on the kids and training them....

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Not quite the reason to end up 60k in debt is it?
    Going to uni means losing 10% of your income for many years in repayments. Unless you know what you want to do its a very expensive way of making your mind up.

Apart from the fact that 5 good O'levels was exactly that. Now it seems any idiot can get a degree and many frequently do...
    The problem is that many areas which used to take people with 5 good o'levels now insist on a degree. Law is an area that does, accountancy looks like it does but actually doesn't and a few large firms now take on trainees with good A levels. If I was heading towards uni and thinking of becoming an accountant I would be trying to get on those schemes as well as uni and would bin uni if I got on one of the schemes.

See Audit Programme | School and College Leavers | KPMG Careers in the UK for one of the options.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You are aware many graduates are pushed by their parents up until they are 18 and have it indoctrinated into them what they should do next.
    Not quite the reason to end up 60k in debt is it?

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Good point, it's almost as if a degree now counts as 5 good 'o' levels which used to be the benchmark.
    Apart from the fact that 5 good O'levels was exactly that. Now it seems any idiot can get a degree and many frequently do...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X