• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Microsoft to buy Nokia"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by proggy View Post
    Another Barmy Ballmer move, Nokia would have went under since Apple and Samsung have eaten their lunch. With MS history of mobile devices this will be another write off in a few years.
    I think its called stopping Windows 8 Phone dying. Nokia need to sell phones, Windows phones don't sell so say they announced they were dropping windows and going android.

I think that is what Nokia announced to MS cue mad panic purchase of the company to stop it happening.

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    Another Barmy Ballmer move, Nokia would have went under since Apple and Samsung have eaten their lunch. With MS history of mobile devices this will be another write off in a few years.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    This whole "Apple don't innovate" thing is irrelevant. Businesses make money by making a product people want to buy, and Apple are very good at that. Innovation costs a lot of money and also carries a lot of risk... many new inventions may be clever but nobody wants them.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    So true...

A basket case company with no credible plan except to keep selling its legacy products and stick its foot in any other market that others are doing well in buys another basket case company. Definitely a marriage made in heaven.

Got to laugh!

Being absorbed by Microsoft is like abandoning the Titanic and being picked up by the Lusitania.

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    They were the first to place a accelerometer in the phone, now everyone does it as standard.
    Apple pioneered the previous generation of smartphone displays in 2010, now everybody is installing HD displays on there devices.
    Show me another computer that has the design & performance of the rMBP - it does not exist.
    IOS for mobile devices, nearly everyone uses the latest software in their iPhones, compare that with Android, it sucks and we know.

Nearly every manufacturer out there has been following apples lead.
    Upgrading the type of glass on a phone is evolution not innovation.

No not every phone requires you to hold in the approved Jobs manner to get a phone signal, even Microsoft managed to get that right

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    I can't remember the last innovation Apple have come up with, everything is just something already existing but more appealing to hipsters
    They were the first to place a accelerometer in the phone, now everyone does it as standard.
    Apple pioneered the previous generation of smartphone displays in 2010, now everybody is installing HD displays on there devices.
    Show me another computer that has the design & performance of the rMBP - it does not exist.
    IOS for mobile devices, nearly everyone uses the latest software in their iPhones, compare that with Android, it sucks and we know.

Nearly every manufacturer out there has been following apples lead.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    I can't remember the last innovation Apple have come up with, everything is just something already existing but more appealing to people, not geeks
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    It seems to me Google & Microsoft try to increase their market share through purchasing other companies (often failing companies), while Apple creates its market share through innovation.
    I can't remember the last innovation Apple have come up with, everything is just something already existing but more appealing to hipsters

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by redgiant View Post
    I think this is a good deal for MS however I think they will loose the partners they have in WP in HTC, LG and Samsung as a result.

I think the odds on Stephen Elop getting the top job at MS have been slashed but I think he will get another senior job elsewhere leading the now vastly bigger devices business.
    As the fifth columist for Microsoft who single handedly destroyed Nokia handing Microsoft all those patents on the cheap, nah they'll probably push him out nowthey don't need him

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    It seems to me Google & Microsoft try to increase their market share through purchasing other companies (often failing companies), while Apple creates its market share through innovation.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    History will be yet again changed to Microsoft invented the mobile phone

I thought Apple invented it

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    History will be yet again changed to Microsoft invented the mobile phone

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    BBC News - Microsoft to buy Nokia's mobile phone unit
    Microsoft buys Nokia's mobile business

Well, to buy only their mobile phone business, approx half the entire business.
    I think this is a good deal for MS however I think they will loose the partners they have in WP in HTC, LG and Samsung as a result.

I think the odds on Stephen Elop getting the top job at MS have been slashed but I think he will get another senior job elsewhere leading the now vastly bigger devices business.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Could see that coming a mile off.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic Microsoft to buy Nokia

Microsoft to buy Nokia

BBC News - Microsoft to buy Nokia's mobile phone unit
    Microsoft buys Nokia's mobile business

Well, to buy only their mobile phone business, approx half the entire business.

Working...
X