• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Flexible Hours

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Flexible Hours"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by zoco View Post
    I'm going to Yeovil. Took me 3 hours to do, what, 70 odd miles this morning.
    Glad I live up north. 68miles this morning 60 minutes.
    Return leg this evening 60 minutes :

only once been delayed so far and that was 15 minutes as I knew the appropriate diversion.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    I'm going to Yeovil. Took me 3 hours to do, what, 70 odd miles this morning. M27 was rammed & the schools aren't back yet. Not unreasonable - they gave me the impression (as did the agent) that they were fully flexible on Monday start time and Friday end time. My fault, I should have got more detail in the interview.
    That's in no way, shape, or form their issue. [IMO]

As you say, unless you agreed very specific terms at interview, I can't sympathise much either. I agree with whoever it was that said you now probably need to prove your worth before broaching this with them again - or leave.

Leave a comment:

• zoco
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

It's 25 miles end to end. That's not unreasonable.

I'm going to Yeovil. Took me 3 hours to do, what, 70 odd miles this morning. M27 was rammed & the schools aren't back yet. Not unreasonable - they gave me the impression (as did the agent) that they were fully flexible on Monday start time and Friday end time. My fault, I should have got more detail in the interview.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    At interview stage, client said they were ok with me starting late monday and finishing early Friday.

Now I've started, it turns out that they're not that flexible at all.
    So, there is a difference in your expectations - they said they were OK, but you don't think they are flexible.

4 pm is the earliest they'll permit. In my contract schedule (that I still haven't signed)
    Signature is irrelevant - you've accepted it because you started the contract work.

it says that hours are to be agreed with the client. Well, I dont. agree.
    So highlight that you can't agree, and terminate the contract. Make sure that you are in a position of strength (clearly understand whether this is a breach of warranty or a breach of conditions) before terminating the contract.

I think they are being somewhat unreasonable seeing as I have to go more or less tha whole length of the M27 to get home
    It's 25 miles end to end. That's not unreasonable.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
    M27 is only about 30 miles from end to end FFS.
    A 25 mile journey - whatever next?!?!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Are you PC in disguise?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Every gig I have worked on in the last 4 years has been 'flexible' but employed core hours from 10 to 4. Worked very well.

last clientco had core hours 10-3. But then again that wasn't a normal company and those hours only applied to a couple of particular departments. Other departments had zero leeway.

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    replied
    M27 is only about 30 miles from end to end FFS.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Every gig I have worked on in the last 4 years has been 'flexible' but employed core hours from 10 to 4. Worked very well. I think you have mixed flexible with make your own times up.

Get your head down, do a months solid work then go cap in hand and ask the client manager on an individual case basis. It is highly unlikely he will challenge if it you have proven yourself capable and reliable.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    At interview stage, client said they were ok with me starting late monday and finishing early Friday.

Now I've started, it turns out that they're not that flexible at all. 4 pm is the earliest they'll permit. In my contract schedule (that I still haven't signed) it says that hours are to be agreed with the client. Well, I dont. agree. I think they are being somewhat unreasonable seeing as I have to go more or less tha whole length of the M27 to get home
    Ahh diddums. Either accept the pain or start looking and walk asap.

Leave a comment:

• zoco
    started a topic Flexible Hours

Flexible Hours

Now I've started, it turns out that they're not that flexible at all. 4 pm is the earliest they'll permit. In my contract schedule (that I still haven't signed) it says that hours are to be agreed with the client. Well, I dont. agree. I think they are being somewhat unreasonable seeing as I have to go more or less tha whole length of the M27 to get home

Working...
X