• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should Britain celebrate WW1 start?"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    I thought the idea was to commemorate it, not celebrate it.

Not sure what there problem is, even they really object maybe they shouldn't have kicked off nearly 100 years ago (I know technically they didn't start it but they are generally universally blamed)

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Same thing. Even if it's a solemn ceremony ,it still amounts to an excuse to wave the flag and get all misty eyed about Britain as a warmongering nation. I don't see that as much less distasteful than having a street party .
    One can remember the death and destruction, and show respect for those who gave their lives without it being a celebration, or even necessarily agreeing with it.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I think we should celebrate it, by Jingo

Chaps, pack up your troubles while you roll out the barrell, because it's a long way to Tipperary.

It's a long way to go.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Why celebrate start of the war?!?!
    Chortle - good point

I imagine the celebrations will be rather muted in the Belgian city of Louvain

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I blame the romans. What did they ever do for us?
    Brought peace?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    We need to commemorate the war. Whether commemorating is celebrating is a question for others...
    Same thing. Even if it's a solemn ceremony ,it still amounts to an excuse to wave the flag and get all misty eyed about Britain as a warmongering nation. I don't see that as much less distasteful than having a street party .

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    If we are blaming the French we can go back to 1066
    I blame the romans. What did they ever do for us?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    In fact you can go further back. WW1 was caused by Napoleon's legacy therefore, WW1 and WW2 was indirectly caused by the French.
    If we are blaming the French we can go back to 1066

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    It wasn't WW1 that lead to Nazism but the decisions afterwards to punish Germany.
    In fact you can go further back. WW1 was caused by Napoleon's legacy therefore, WW1 and WW2 was indirectly caused by the French.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    What's to celebrate about WW1? WW2, sure - defeat of Nazism. But WW1 - which led to Nazism?
    I think some want to remember the senseless loss of life. And some to dredge up the past to cover up what a mess this country is in.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    What's to celebrate about WW1? WW2, sure - defeat of Nazism. But WW1 - which led to Nazism?
    It wasn't WW1 that lead to Nazism but the decisions afterwards to punish Germany.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ContractorsSpouse
    replied
    Germany has intervened in the debate over how to mark the centenary of the First World War, with a call for Britain not to make its commemorations too celebratory.
    This seems like a reasonable request.

Commemorate if you want, but celebrate? Surely not...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Why celebrate start of the war?!?!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    We need to commemorate the war. Whether commemorating is celebrating is a question for others...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X