• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How many languages?"

Collapse

• MyUserName
    replied
    I get by in English, my grammar is uneducated and mainly guesswork and my spelling is vaguely understandable.

Went I went to visit my engineer in China I learned as much Manderin as I could which they seemed to appreciate, they also liked that I could play Go and Chinese Chess. I have forgotten everything apart from a word or two now.

When I went to the Netherlands I learned as much Dutch as I could and try to use it whenever I could but I have forgotten everything apart from a word or two.

When I lived in Wales I knew vague Welsh which mainly involved singing and punching whomever lived the furthest away as they were notional foreigners, whilst drinking far too much and losing at rugby (although the rugby thing has changed since I moved away).

When I went to France I opened conversations in Welsh. When they stared at me blankly I looked confused and then said "English? I speak English also?" and they were happy to talk in English.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    I just about manage passable English & fluent sarcasm.

But when visiting Johnny foreigner I do make an effort in getting a phrase book, which then enables me to stand there making an arse of myself whilst butchering their language: they then take pity & talk to me in English, I then get what I want & it’s all good.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    At the annoying stage where I can understand pretty much all Dutch when spoken to but am still at the getting stuck stage ( it doesn't help the lingo structure requires some thinking about before you start speaking).

I was fluent in French, but out of practice as I don't have that much exposure to it.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    ... For most nationalities I repeat myself loudly until they understand
    I attempt to speak their language until it hurts their ears so much, they surrender and speak the English we know all foreigners speak really.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    WHS. There's very few phrases of furrin that one actually needs:

Dos cervezas por favor.

Nope, can't think of any others.
    Zwei Bier bitte. Noch zwei Bier bitte. Noch zwei grosses Bier bitte... ad nauseum (literally).

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by BigRed View Post
    I stick to English, any other approach would just encourage the proliferation of other languages and we would all have to learn several, In the same way, I stick to MS Office, because I go back far enough to remember the first Airbus project and the proliferation of WP packages used to communicate between different countries. Luckily English was already defined as the language of aviation, I think all communications with the tower have to be in English as well as all repair manuals.

I do have good experience of bobspeak though, understanding their version of English is an art in itself, not just the words but the nuances. For most nationalities I repeat myself loudly until they understand
    WHS. There's very few phrases of furrin that one actually needs:

Dos cervezas por favor.

Nope, can't think of any others.

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    I stick to English, any other approach would just encourage the proliferation of other languages and we would all have to learn several, In the same way, I stick to MS Office, because I go back far enough to remember the first Airbus project and the proliferation of WP packages used to communicate between different countries. Luckily English was already defined as the language of aviation, I think all communications with the tower have to be in English as well as all repair manuals.

I do have good experience of bobspeak though, understanding their version of English is an art in itself, not just the words but the nuances. For most nationalities I repeat myself loudly until they understand

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MadDawg View Post
    Me want potty.
    It's clear you don't spend time with children under 5 especially kids who happen to be either the youngest of large families or have much older siblings.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I don't agree. Fluency and proficiency aren't the same thing. In any case, I think comprehension and comprehensibility are the important points. Can you understand and be understood? My German grammar is appalling, but I can be understood readily be the natives.

Many native English speakers have dreadful grammar - yet they couldn't be described as "not fluent". Fluent gibberish perhaps!
    Many native English speakers speak in their regional or local dialect especially as children. So their grammar is fine - it's just not the same as Standard English.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I don't agree. Fluency and proficiency aren't the same thing. In any case, I think comprehension and comprehensibility are the important points. Can you understand and be understood? My German grammar is appalling, but I can be understood readily be the natives.

Many native English speakers have dreadful grammar - yet they couldn't be described as "not fluent". Fluent gibberish perhaps!

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Here's my guidelines FWIW...

1. Native - obvious - native - 100% perfect

2. Near Native - similar, but would be a second language but hardly any difference...

3. Fluent - Second plus language, grammatically perfect but with accent

4. Near Fluent - Pausing in speech but no mistakes or very few

5. What most people think is fluent - Knowing a bit of grammar and some vocabulary and going 'Err, I know that, let me think, err... Ooo, errr, Ich, err bin, eeer, doughnut? no, errr, genau? err, ein Berliner?'

6. Reality - just know a few words and 'Eerrrr......'

7. British - Just shout in English...

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Anything more than two is just showing off!

(or two)

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    What I want to know is, if I'm going to speak to Gilgamesh, which language should I use? Will Urdu?

Have you heard the one about the lady in Dheli who went into the hairdressers and asked for an 'Urdo in Urdu

Leave a comment:

• yetanotherbob
    replied
    What I want to know is, if I'm going to speak to Gilgamesh, which language should I use? Will Urdu?

With that kind of grammar, avoid using English if you can.

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied

Surely you mean "Will Urdu do?"

What will you do when Urdo won't do?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X