• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "When it's all Boom, it usually means Doom"

Collapse

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Apart from a couple years (2008-09) with the pain concentrated in the City, I doubt very much that London has been in much of a recession at all. I'd like to see official figures for London vs rest of UK.
    It's my opinion that London has decoupled from ScotNorthLand and has an economy that has its own dynamic now
    This ^ the couple of times I have visited Westfield I have felt like a country bumpkin. The place if flooded with new cars and shops selling tulip that is beyond expensive and all this from Stratford (a place that you would drive through with your doors locked when I left London ten years ago...)

There is no doubt in my mind that London has been mostly fine...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Apart from a couple years (2008-09) with the pain concentrated in the City, I doubt very much that London has been in much of a recession at all. I'd like to see official figures for London vs rest of UK.
    It's my opinion that London has decoupled from ScotNorthLand and has an economy that has its own dynamic now

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    That's not pragmatism, that's naivety.
    No that's roughly enough money to buy a cup of tea

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    The trick is to plan your silly spending to last no longer than half the next cycle allowing you to save a war chest as well as enjoy the hay...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    What about Zimbabwean pragmatism?

That's not pragmatism, that's naivety.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Looks like QE worked after all, contrary to what you cretins spouted
    British pragmatism is not such a bad thing.
    What about Zimbabwean pragmatism?

Leave a comment:

• Ketchup
    replied

Unlike Portugal, where I'm told Pingo Doce (Portuguese Tesco) now has armed guards in many supermarkets, due to a spate of hold-ups.
    Going there soon, will be interesting to catch up with my contacts, one of whom has installed security gates and bought a fierce dog.
    To protect his trolleys in the carpark?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    No More Boom and Bust!

oh sorry that was another chancer
    His statement has been correct since the moment he became pm. It's been bust ever since

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    No More Boom and Bust!

oh sorry that was another chancer

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Unlike Portugal, where I'm told Pingo Doce (Portuguese Tesco) now has armed guards in many supermarkets, due to a spate of hold-ups.
    Going there soon, will be interesting to catch up with my contacts, one of whom has installed security gates and bought a fierce dog.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Let's enjoy the boom while it lasts then!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    started a topic When it's all Boom, it usually means Doom

When it's all Boom, it usually means Doom

Lots of Boomed! new contract 18 monther, pay much higher, just down the road.

+

House prices 'rising at fastest pace for three years' - Telegraph

+

Goldman Sachs predicts FTSE 100 will top 7,500 - Telegraph

+

UK retail sales bask in best July for seven years | Digital Look

=

Certain Doom round the corner.

Working...
X