• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Dunning

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dunning"

Collapse

• Zippy
    replied
    Jeez, reading this thread is like watching one of those interminable infomercials so familiar to insomniacs.
    I have, therefore, decided it's wine o'clock. Anyone care to join me?

Leave a comment:

• MadDawg
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    The Dunning-Kruger effect

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Safe Collections View Post
    Don't you still have that as your holiday home?
    No that will be called DunDunceDunningPissTaking

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    What about DunceDunning?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes

Leave a comment:

• Safe Collections
    replied
    What about DunceDunning?
    Don't you still have that as your holiday home?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    What about DunceDunning?

Leave a comment:

• Safe Collections
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    There's Dundrum here in Dublin..
    Please forward all queries to:

Dundunnin
    Dunmanway
    Republic of Ireland

We also thought about Dungannon, Dunkit and Dunmore...

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Time for Safe Collections to retire to a little cottage called Dundunning.
    There's Dundrum here in Dublin..

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Another fantastic CUK coincidence! Just turned on PC to search for name of place I got some curtains from and had a quick look at CUK first. My curtain place is Dunnings Mill. Who needs Google when we have CUK?

PS Oh no it's Dunhelms Mill but close.
    Time for Safe Collections to retire to a little cottage called Dundunning.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Here's the thing: if I ever wanted money collected, the last people I would go to are Safe Collections, whose poster is demonstrating a level of cretinism that is notable even by CUK standards.

+1. Better off getting MF tanked up on cheap cider and sending him round.

Leave a comment:

• Safe Collections
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    For clarity - peculiar in the sense of "belonging exclusively to". Hence I'm referring to your (collective) ignorance over this specific word, not a general culture of ignorance, though that does seem to have become quite prevalent in the UK over the last few years.
    No clarification required, we had assumed you meant our collective ignorance as opposed to our "odd" ignorance.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The peculiar ignorance?

Noted.
    For clarity - peculiar in the sense of "belonging exclusively to". Hence I'm referring to your (collective) ignorance over this specific word, not a general culture of ignorance, though that does seem to have become quite prevalent in the UK over the last few years.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Another fantastic CUK coincidence! Just turned on PC to search for name of place I got some curtains from and had a quick look at CUK first. My curtain place is Dunnings Mill. Who needs Google when we have CUK?

PS Oh no it's Dunhelms Mill but close.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Please don't pretend wikipedia is a reputable source :P And if you look at that entry closely you'll see the only links refer to American entries Eg. "Consumer Credit Protection Act" &
    "FDCPA (the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act)"
    Originally posted by George Orwell, Down and Out in Paris and London, Ch. 18
    Melancholy duns came looking for him at all hours.
    I don't think that Orwell was running Oracle or SAP in 1933, but I might be wrong.

Originally posted by Henry Fielding, Tom Jones
    Of all he had received from Lady Bellaston, not above five guineas remained and that very morning he had been dunned by a tradesman for twice that sum.

Leave a comment:

• Safe Collections
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    sorry you are missing a bit of an in joke, SAP versus Oracle.

Normally SAP has 20 varieties of the kitchen sink, with Oracle you are lucky if there is a water main.

When a user on Oracle says 'I wish it could do X' a SAP expert says 'SAP can do that and A-Z and 0-9' annoyingly they are normally right.

Therefore if Oracle can do it then it must be common.

As I said its likely that SME do similar but don't call it Dunning.

I would stop digging if I were you.
    But we are almost out!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X