• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Building whole-wall fitted shelves"

Collapse

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Sas, did you actually have shelves fitted onto the wall then? I'm concerned the brackets would be visible. Or did they essentially build a big free-standing unit against the wall, so it's self-supporting rather than putting any load on the wall itself? The latter seems preferable to me personally.
    If you get a decent cabinet maker, there shouldn't be any brackets or at least nothing visable.

tulip..... some of that crap my brother used to spout clearly went in my head and stayed there

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Remember this, you took advice from SAS.
    You're saying that like I'm as incompetent as you are.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Yeah, worrying but hopefully a one-off. If I ask Suity how to manage the project can someone do an intervention please?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Thanks Sas. I've got a guy who knows all the practical side of things but knowing what I want him to do will be much easier - sounds I basically want a similar approach to yours.
    Remember this, you took advice from SAS.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Thanks Sas. I've got a guy who knows all the practical side of things but knowing what I want him to do will be much easier - sounds I basically want a similar approach to yours.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    No, shelves not fitted to a wall with brackets.
    They made a big free standing unit and slotted it in - in my case it was two alcoves on each side of a protruding chimney breast, so 2 free-standing units really.
    The depth of the chimney breast defined the depth of the shelves i.e. 14 inches, so its all flush.
    I don't know if they glued the structure to the sides or bottom or how they fixed that part of it, but its all flush and secure.
    Actually calling it free-standing gives the wrong impression. That's how it was made but now its fitted, You can't move the shelves. Bit embarrassing that I don't know how that fitting was achieved, being a bit crap at DIY.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Sas, did you actually have shelves fitted onto the wall then? I'm concerned the brackets would be visible. Or did they essentially build a big free-standing unit against the wall, so it's self-supporting rather than putting any load on the wall itself? The latter seems preferable to me personally.
    No, shelves not fitted to a wall with brackets.
    They made a big free standing unit and slotted it in - in my case it was two alcoves on each side of a protruding chimney breast, so 2 free-standing units really.
    The depth of the chimney breast defined the depth of the shelves i.e. 14 inches, so its all flush.
    I don't know if they glued the structure to the sides or bottom or how they fixed that part of it, but its all flush and secure.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by proggy View Post

like that!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Did a sketch on A4 (but an accurate one with measurements).
    No backing just use the existing wall.
    Don't make it too complex and you'll be fine.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Now I just want to start drawing on the wall but if we end up delaying the work this wouldn't be ideal
    You could take photos of the spines of books and stick them to the wall. From a distance, you won't be able to tell the difference.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Sorry my mistake, it's actually nearer 10". The current floor-standing shelf we have is very deep so it looked less in comparison, but it turns out the shelves we have are more like 14". Which is way too deep for paperbacks, they disappear inside the shelf!

I reckon the 9-10" we actually have should be a good compromise, though the comment about re-boxing the pipe is't a bad call.

Now I just want to start drawing on the wall but if we end up delaying the work this wouldn't be ideal

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    Why not get a joiner in to do it, your time as a contractor is expensive and given your asking about it on a IT contractor forum you will likely balls it up.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Go to the UKWorkshop forum and have a look there. Lots of threads on fitted shelves and there should be some stuff on design as well.

And there is an app. The sagulator can be invaluable and save some embarrassment.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Don't get me to do it:

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    At only 6” deep make sure you fasten it to the wall, (mid & top) as the base to height ratio is skew & likely to topple.

Either use an Ikea like system or get it built to order: but don’t use a joiner or kitchen fitter, get a carpenter / furniture maker in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X