• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Easily affordable

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Easily affordable"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Paying less air passenger duty would be a start in stopping people bypassing London and flying from Amsterdam.
    More frequent (and in some cases any) flights from regional airports to Heathrow would help a lot lot more.

At the moment I can fly via Amsterdam without pain or travel for 90 minutes to fly to x via Heathrow....

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    we then lose all the stop over & interchange traffic to Schipol.
    Paying less air passenger duty would be a start in stopping people bypassing London and flying from Amsterdam.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Boris' plan is insane and will never happen.

They should build 3rd runway at Heathrow and STFU about it for some years.
    As much as it pains me to type it....

This.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    With HS2 it would take 35 mins to get from Birmingham International to central London - when I took Heathrow Express earlier this year it took maybe 20 mins.
    precisely.

We expand / build new Birmingham airport, connect to HS2 and move a good portion of traffic up there.

With a 38 minutes to London its seriously commutable.

Better journeys between cities | HS2

Instant Birmingham boom, then leapfrog air traffic to Manchester and then Newcastle etc. Finally spread business away from London and restore the North.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I thought the point of HS2 was to make these decisions easier.
    With HS2 it would take 35 mins to get from Birmingham International to central London - when I took Heathrow Express earlier this year it took maybe 20 mins.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    And what exactly changes when the airport moves overnight? People will still be able to get to and from London by plane and it should be more reliable with additional runways to provide redundancy.

Plus it would allow the rest of us to fly from London abroard. Currently its easier to go via Amsterdam and that's true for everywhere north of Birmingham bar Manchester.
    well for a start it will probably be a disaster for ten years while they work out how to run it, we then lose all the stop over & interchange traffic to Schipol. Once its gone it will be gone for good.

By all means add an extra airport it can fester like Stanstead but the most sensible thing is to expand other airports further away to take connections away from London and open up to the north so we can get some benefit scroungers work! Admittedly it will make Jeremy Kyle poorer.

I thought the point of HS2 was to make these decisions easier.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I am worried about the effect it might have on SAS Gurus favourite holiday destination:

Allhallows Caravan Holiday Park | Haven® Official Site

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Boris' plan is insane and will never happen.

They should build 3rd runway at Heathrow and STFU about it for some years.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    of course they can, but in the ten to twenty years it would take us to get back to full employment the lazy northerners would starve without benefits

Heathrow is a significant part of London's success.
    And what exactly changes when the airport moves overnight? People will still be able to get to and from London by plane and it should be more reliable with additional runways to provide redundancy.

Plus it would allow the rest of us to fly from London abroard. Currently its easier to go via Amsterdam and that's true for everywhere north of Birmingham bar Manchester.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    and what's wrong with that. They should get on their bikes to find work just like one of their former favourite MPs told those in the North to do.
    of course they can, but in the ten to twenty years it would take us to get back to full employment the lazy northerners would starve without benefits

Heathrow is a significant part of London's success.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    and what's wrong with that. They should get on their bikes to find work just like one of their former favourite MPs told those in the North to do.
    Exactly!

If it were oop north they'd shut it in the blink of an eye. Aye.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    If they close Heathrow half of Bucks & Berks low to mid level earners would be unemployed.

If they don't work at the airport they sell to it or its suppliers.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Anyway all of you Estuary proponents can fook right off - we need to build it in Lydd then my house price will go through the roof

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    If they close Heathrow half of Bucks & Berks low to mid level earners would be unemployed.

If they don't work at the airport they sell to it or its suppliers.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Well, it's due east of Isle of Grain, so unless planes are only going to fly in over London, then I'd be wary of going that way

I think there is a slight difference in the risk of flying over the site and building a multi billion pound airport next to it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X