• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "When do you give up on a book?"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    I have given up on surprisingly few books. There are far more that I've bought and not got round to starting yet.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    It's like Sebastian Barry and his "Wicklow Sheepdog"
    I see you've mentioned that one before: third hit in Google.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    I ripped through several of Wilbur Smith's books in my thirties then got frustrated with reading the same phrases again.

I don't think I've come across another writer who used the word "shard" so much.
    It's like Sebastian Barry and his "Wicklow Sheepdog"

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Have I () mentioned how much I hate Lord of the Flies?

Though that may be pure prejudice because it was a set book.
    Pure prejudice, I think.

I read Lord of the Flies about two weeks ago for the very first time. Really enjoyed it. I do think it's overrated, but nonetheless a decent read.

Once the kids in the book start to return to a state of primordial human savagery it reminded me so much of CUK General.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Lord of the Rings almost ends up being two separate stories. One, following the hobbits on their way to destroy the ring is a similar (although darker) type of adventure as The Hobbit, with them attempting to overcome impossible odds. As a kid, that was the part I liked best.

The other story is about Gandalf and Aragorn trying to rally the armies of Middle Earth to fight Sauron, to distract him and give Frodo and Sam a chance. When I've re-read it recently this is the part I've enjoyed more. I suppose that's why it's remained so popular, something for everyone(ish).
    Not forgetting Merry and Pippin's story where they inadvertantly cause Saruman's downfall.

I loved all of the Middle Earth books. I read The Hobbit first as a lad and then moved on to TLOTR. I then moved on to The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. My biggest regret is what Jackson did to them, but, I guess he thought he could right a better story.

I read Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code and when I finished it I found that I'd finally found a book that deserved to be burnt.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Have I () mentioned how much I hate Lord of the Flies?

Though that may be pure prejudice because it was a set book.
    The Scottish Play was a set book and it was usefully on telly the night before the exam.

And then repeated until I got sick of it.

And my local playhouse proudly announced they'd be doing Shakespeare in English, and would I like to come along?

Guess which play?

No was the answer.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    I enjoyed The Hobbit as a kid and again when a student.

Couldn't cope with LOTR though. It appeared to me that they would miraculously get out of one scrape just to get into another, which they would in an equally improbably fashion escape from. I got bored with that pretty quickly.
    Lord of the Rings almost ends up being two separate stories. One, following the hobbits on their way to destroy the ring is a similar (although darker) type of adventure as The Hobbit, with them attempting to overcome impossible odds. As a kid, that was the part I liked best.

The other story is about Gandalf and Aragorn trying to rally the armies of Middle Earth to fight Sauron, to distract him and give Frodo and Sam a chance. When I've re-read it recently this is the part I've enjoyed more. I suppose that's why it's remained so popular, something for everyone(ish).

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I can put up with a book being a bit tulip and badly written but when writers start relying on lazy clichés I generally give up.
    I ripped through several of Wilbur Smith's books in my thirties then got frustrated with reading the same phrases again.

I don't think I've come across another writer who used the word "shard" so much.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

Couldn't cope with LOTR though. It appeared to me that they would miraculously get out of one scrape just to get into another, which they would in an equally improbably fashion escape from. I got bored with that pretty quickly.
    +1

Just finished reading The Hobbit with my children, who were enthralled by it.

I have no intention of trying LOTR again.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I've enjoyed most of the Booker shortlist books I've read. White Teeth was a great read. One I really couldn't be bothered with was Damon Galgut "In a strange room" He kept switching from first to third person - sometimes within the same sentence. As a 'literary device' it was damned irritating!

Hobbit is one I gave up on as a kid.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    When you say a proper book...

Ok, published book.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    must admit heavy going books like Art of War I download librivox recordings and play in the background, some stuff goes in.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    When you say a proper book...

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I have always wanted to write a book, but was joking with a friend recently that it might be fun to deliberately sell out from the very start with no pretence of being a serious artist - 50 shades meets Twilight.

I actually had a decent idea for a serious vampire story years ago but I couldn't bring myself to work on it these days with Twilight, True Blood et al ruining the genre, even if I had the time.
    Wasn't that how 50 Shades started? I thought it was Twilight fan-fiction that got picked up and turned into a proper book.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I have always wanted to write a book, but was joking with a friend recently that it might be fun to deliberately sell out from the very start with no pretence of being a serious artist - 50 shades meets Twilight.

I actually had a decent idea for a serious vampire story years ago but I couldn't bring myself to work on it these days with Twilight, True Blood et al ruining the genre, even if I had the time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X