• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How do you make ice cubes?"

Collapse

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I have not yet found the bags which make ice cubes. They make a much more rounded block of ice. Indeed the old ice 'cube' trays didn't even make cubes as the resulting block of ice was more trapezium shaped.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I use ice cube bags all the time and never have a problem with bits of plastic. I get mine from Sainsburys, perhaps the Lidl ones you get are not of decent quality.

Also, I too have a frost free freezer yet have never experienced evaporation of the cubes. But then I do use the 'ice drawer' that is at the top of the freezer.

Oh and you can make vodka ice cubes in the same way as normal ice cubes. Takes about 3 weeks for them to set properly (that was with black label smirnoff, could be different for a lower proof voddie).

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Don't use the ice cube bags unless you like little bits of plastic in your drink - they are rubbish.

Best bet for decent quality ice is buy bags of it from the supermarket and stick it in the ice despenser chute on your big american style fridge

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Here's the science bit

Originally posted by Dr Bunsen
    "Water vapor from the air in your freezer is periodically removed as melt water and deposited outside of the freezer. This shifts the equilibrium towards more water sublimating from the remaining ice cubes and thus the ice cubes dwindling over time. You cannot have an static equilibrium state between solid ice and water vapor in the air if you continually remove that vapor by melting it from the condensor and placing it outside the freezer."
    Suggestion: pour yourself more gin & tonics to use up the ice more quickly.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    Fly private plane to the Arctic.

Select suitable iceberg.

Chip off required bits.

Fly back home.

Sorted.

HTH.

Threaded.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    1. Take liquid water
    2. Place into a suitable container
    3. Expose container of water to temperatures below the freezing point of water at the specified atmospheric pressure.
    4. Wait until the phase change is complete

Voila! Ice Cubes

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Assuming you are serious - all supermarkets sell ice cube bags for just such a purpose, you just fill them up with water, stick them in the freezer and away you go. Much easier to use then trays as well. However if you want a stupid answer, I'm sure several will be along in a minute....

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak
    With a Frost Free Freezer??

The bloody things evaporate when I try..

I've looked for covered trays but come up with nothing and I'm beginning to get desperate...
    Ice cube bags. Any supermarket.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    How about your slug, Xogg?

Does he/she/it get upset when people laugh?

Must be few things worse than an upset slug...

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    ER.. stick the tray in a sealed plastic bag?

Nah it's a trick question isn't it? Now you're laughing at me. And my mule. My mule doesnt like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea they're laughing at him.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 24 July 2006, 21:14.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    started a topic How do you make ice cubes?

How do you make ice cubes?

With a Frost Free Freezer??

The bloody things evaporate when I try..

I've looked for covered trays but come up with nothing and I'm beginning to get desperate...

Working...
X