• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Mandolin

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mandolin"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I used to play the harp in a stringed quartet. We did lots of gigs opp norf, even in a disco owned my one Sam Pan Domingo.
    In fact , thats where I lost it one night

I left my harp in Sam Pans disco

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    How're you getting on with the mandolin? Just messing with chords or getting the melody in there as well?

Cos it's tuned GDAE there's tons of tab (if you don't read music), for every style - bluegrass, Irish, classical et al. I play mostly celtic style combining chords and the melody and a few Bach cantatas thrown in.

It's a great instrument if you just want to play chords to songs but really comes into its own when playing the melody.
    Only had it for a few days, but mucking around with chords and melody.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Loved him in Iron Man 3.
    Can't sleep?

Leave a comment:

• socialworker
    replied
    I love the mandolin. Heard it said once that you never find an unpleasant mandolin player. It's not for big egos.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Not to mention a senior government official.
    How're you getting on with the mandolin? Just messing with chords or getting the melody in there as well?

Cos it's tuned GDAE there's tons of tab (if you don't read music), for every style - bluegrass, Irish, classical et al. I play mostly celtic style combining chords and the melody and a few Bach cantatas thrown in.

It's a great instrument if you just want to play chords to songs but really comes into its own when playing the melody.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    A mandolin is musical instrument, a Chinese Language and a type of Orange all at once...
    Not to mention a senior government official.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    I had my mandolin hand built by Jimmy Moon, wonderful instrument.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Mandolin is for girls.
    I prefer Cantonese.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Mandolin is for girls. Citar is for the serious players.
    Cigar?

Oh, you mean sitar!

I had sitar lessons once, when I was on my 'hanging out with George Harrison who was hanging out with Ravi Shankar phase'

Playing ragas for hours on end sat on my legs, cramp, numb feet, jacked it in.

That and the Asian scale isn't the same as the Western one (AIUI) with more steps between octaves, hence most of it sounds tuneless to us and why there'll never be a Bob version of the Rolling Stones or even Marillion.

Could have 'The Loving Needful' or 'Steel-eye Pakistan'..

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Great for slicing tomatoes

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    A mandolin is musical instrument, a Chinese Language and a type of Orange all at once.

Very versatile piece of kit.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Mandolin is for girls. Sitar is for the serious players.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Loved him in Iron Man 3.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Just got one. Even more fun than a ukulele.
    Doesn't it have seven strings too many?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X