• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Murray deserves knighthood"

Collapse

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Sums it all up (sports Knighthoods, that is)

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Agreed, but most people who play tennis aren't competing, in the sense of participating in organised competitions, either.
    In that sense no, but they are still competing with each other.

If that's going to be a yardstick then darts or pool are both likely to be ahead of tennis.
    That's probably true. Personally I find it difficult to consider them as sports, but some do.

However I'm not on one side or the other regarding the popularity of tennis. Enough people play it to make it a big sport, wherever it ranks.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Among the most famous players of football are Rinaldo, Rooney and so on.
    That Rinaldo's a cracking player, and I hear Real Madrid are on the verge of signing So On too

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    That's based on "viewership" whatever that is. Relatively few people actually play most of the sports on that list.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The Olympics defines "sailing" as the sport, not "laser sailing", and changes the classes raced from time to time. He won medals in both the Laser and Finn class actually he gave up Lasers years ago), but weirdly those are not considered separate events.
    Stop splitting hairs you pedantic moron. He competes in a minority section of a "sport" that, even being generous, is only done by a tiny minority of the populace of even the more developed nations, and is actively competed for by only a tiny subset of that small group.
    It is clearly an activity that you have been involved in, and as is so often the case with you, it has clouded what passes for judgment in that dormant organ of a brain.
    However, the fact that you may have stood, doubtless open-mouthed and perplexed, in a room brimfull of pretentious jack-tar types, does not make it an activity that is enjoyed by significant numbers.
    The overwhelming majority of the world's population would not know what class of racing sailboat they were sitting in if they were pulled aboard one from within the jaws of a great white shark.
    But you can bet your arse that the majority of them would have heard of, and even played, Tennis.
    Them's the facts.

Maybe it'd be better if you just came and and said what you actually are thinking, which is that since a Scot has won something he is clearly more important than the hundreds of English people who win things every year...
    If you want to re-read my original post, I clearly stated that I don't think he should be given a Knighthood until it becomes clear just what he may have achieved by the time his career is over.
    If you wish to conclude from that that somehow I am being racist, then go right ahead. You are already way beyond the point at which most people take you seriously anyway. How much worse can you make things?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Cretinous POTD

Top 10 Most Popular Sports in the World | Click Top 10

Suck on that dick head

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I'm not sure that's fair comment. Most people who participate in angling and particularly swimming are not competing against anyone, whereas tennis players are.

Taking another example to illustrate the point, nearly everyone participates in walking, but only a tiny minority actually compete at it.

So the pool of competitive swimmers or anglers that countries have to draw on isn't the millions who might do it, but a far smaller number.
    Agreed, but most people who play tennis aren't competing, in the sense of participating in organised competitions, either. If that's going to be a yardstick then darts or pool are both likely to be ahead of tennis.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Swimming (and I believe angling) are the most popular sports by participation.

According to Sport England tennis comes in 7th. Lots of people watch Wimbledon but not many people actually play.
    I'm not sure that's fair comment. Most people who participate in angling and particularly swimming are not competing against anyone, whereas tennis players are.

Taking another example to illustrate the point, nearly everyone participates in walking, but only a tiny minority actually compete at it.

So the pool of competitive swimmers or anglers that countries have to draw on isn't the millions who might do it, but a far smaller number.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    As far as individuals are concerned, Hoy got his for being the best over three or more Olympics plus several world championships. Similarly Wiggo (plus his Tour win), Redgrave, Pinsent and Ainslee. Similarly Faldo after six golf majors.

So far, Murray has had one top year.

Ramsey, Woodward and Brailsford got theirs for managing British teams to be the best in the world. Ferguson for his success over 30 years in management. Botham got his for many years of charity work. Obviously none of this applies to Murray.

The only footy player knighted while still playing was Stanley Matthews, and the only cricketer while still playing was Richard Hadlee, both near the end of long careers.

So all in all, I don't see any justification for knighting Murray now or in the near future. And so I go back to Cameron, what he said was daft.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Tennis on the other hand is a very big global sport played by millions (probably second to football) so being being the best meams being better than a lot more people than in rowing or sailing.
    Swimming (and I believe angling) are the most popular sports by participation.

According to Sport England tennis comes in 7th. Lots of people watch Wimbledon but not many people actually play.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Tennis on the other hand is a very big global sport played by millions (probably second to football) .

Cretinous POTD

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    The Olympics defines "sailing" as the sport, not "laser sailing", and changes the classes raced from time to time. He won medals in both the Laser and Finn class actually he gave up Lasers years ago), but weirdly those are not considered separate events. Now he races yachts and plenty of people have sailed on those.
    If YOU actually knew anything about sailing you'd know that of course.

But if you insist on being idiotically petty, clearly grass-court tennis is different from clay or hard-court. How many people world-wide do you reckon have played tennis on a grass court? Or cycled specifically inside a velodrome - clearly these details are massively important.

Maybe it'd be better if you just came and and said what you actually are thinking, which is that since a Scot has won something he is clearly more important than the hundreds of English people who win things every year...
    I can see your point however sailing and rowing are very minor sports as are darts and ice sweeping (the scots have a name for it but I am damned if I can remember what it is). Tennis on the other hand is a very big global sport played by millions (probably second to football) so being being the best meams being better than a lot more people than in rowing or sailing.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The Olympics defines "sailing" as the sport, not "laser sailing", and changes the classes raced from time to time. He won medals in both the Laser and Finn class actually he gave up Lasers years ago), but weirdly those are not considered separate events. Now he races yachts and plenty of people have sailed on those.
    If YOU actually knew anything about sailing you'd know that of course.

But if you insist on being idiotically petty, clearly grass-court tennis is different from clay or hard-court. How many people world-wide do you reckon have played tennis on a grass court? Or cycled specifically inside a velodrome - clearly these details are massively important.

Last edited by d000hg; 9 July 2013, 11:29.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    When you can fit a million plus people in centre court, please let us all know how. There are hundreds of sailing clubs and thousands and thousands of active sailors in the UK alone, where it is a minor sport - in other nations it is a far more popular sport.
    And they all sail "Laser" Class do they?

Top Tip.....try reading the post properly first before opening your gob and letting all that hysterical wind and piss gush out.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You may have a Knighthood because as a nation we are crap at <insert> but you alone are not. If we are good at something the same level of skill and dedication is required to win but they just get passed over. Some irony or something like that there.

Knighthood to the all members of the first UK team to win the Kabaddi world cup eh?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X