• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Mass redundancies

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mass redundancies"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I'm struggling with this idea of proggy being more intelligent than a member.
    ftfy.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Gym beast View Post
    Don't know why you lot are complaining, short-termist thinking, protracted over the long haul, means MORE bubble for us contractors, not less.
    I thought you were a permie trying to move into a contract with the same employer? Or have you left and found a contract now?

Leave a comment:

• Gym beast
    replied
    Don't know why you lot are complaining, short-termist thinking, protracted over the long haul, means MORE bubble for us contractors, not less.

Macro-economically it's a screwed up idea.

Leave a comment:

• No2politics
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nah someone smoking in the toilet.
    Probably not the best idea to joke that we were getting an en mass 'don't come Monday', whilst they padlocked the building

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by No2politics View Post
    Fire alarm had just been pulled. Suspect a disgruntled employee has taken offence and decided to torch the place. Ah well.
    Nah someone smoking in the toilet.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    There's a hierarchy of ever lower levels of intelligence

Idiot
    Moron
    Cretin
    Proggy
    Is that in reverse order?

Leave a comment:

• No2politics
    replied
    Fire alarm had just been pulled. Suspect a disgruntled employee has taken offence and decided to torch the place. Ah well.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    In any knowledge based high skill environment humans should be treated as investments rather than resources.
    Or in fact, and this is a revolutionary idea, treated like humans, with hopes, fears, aspirations, weaknesses and a desire to do something meaningful. Again, we come back to German economic dominance, Weber, Kant, Schopenhauer and the rest.

Basically, people don't want to work for money grabbing tulipheads with no skills.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    In any knowledge based high skill environment humans should be treated as investments rather than resources.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Yep, it costs a fortune to lay people off in Germany as their employment laws prevent casual layoffs.
    Not so different to anywhere else in Europe actually
    The Dismissal by Employer or Employee - Working-in-Germany

The difference is that German business owners don't tend to want to hire and fire, unless using temporary workers or contractors. Seeing as many managers in Germany are skilled people who understand the trade they're managing, they value keeping experience and knowledge on board once they've invested in it. As opposed to many managers in the UK, US and increasingly NL, who are essentially unskilled overpaid ballast with MBAs.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    yeah especially when I am one of them
    Ftfy although the original does justify your position on the leader board.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I'm struggling with this idea of proggy being more intelligent than two other members.
    yeah especially when I am on of them

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    It's because cutting headcount is so prohibitively expensive in Germany that they don't do it.

The Germans I know are all "job for lifers" ... there is no job mobility because there are no vacancies, and there are no vacancies because everyone sits tight waiting to retire on their generous pension.
    Yep, it costs a fortune to lay people off in Germany as their employment laws prevent casual layoffs.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    like Germany, cutting headcount was seen as a failure
    It's because cutting headcount is so prohibitively expensive in Germany that they don't do it.

The Germans I know are all "job for lifers" ... there is no job mobility because there are no vacancies, and there are no vacancies because everyone sits tight waiting to retire on their generous pension.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I'm struggling with this idea of proggy being more intelligent than two other members.
    I doubt he is more intelligent than mine

Leave a comment:

Working...
X