• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Genius advice from your friends at the PCG"

Collapse

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    So where are we all going on holiday?
    How about Gateshead?

Originally posted by Amiga500 View Post
    A holiday, I've read about those in books.
    Books, I've read a few of those on holiday.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    So where are we all going on holiday?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I'm with the "I will not be available these days" crowd.

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    +1
    In fact I've just sent this email off to the PM.
    Me to. Except mine is entitle "Upcoming Unavailability".

It's also a bit vague regarding some of the dates.

I didn't ask for the time off - they've been told.

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    A holiday, I've read about those in books.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    What's wrong with people? I tell them I won't be there.
    Yes but being as they were calling security to throw you out anyway that is a different situation.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    The last few contracts here I've always been asked when I'll be taking holiday and my response is either not going to or don't know and they don't mind. I usually just tell them that I'll be off from day x to day y and they're more than happy with that although I did have one where the boss chappie called me in to his office and expressed concern that I hadn't taken any holiday and didn't want me to burn my self out, which was nice....

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Spud

I am going to be absent from xx-xx Month Year whilst on vacation. In my absence, my company, MyCo Ltd will be unable to provide my services to the ClientCo., as per the Consultancy Services Agreement between the parties.

If you require MyCo Ltd to provide a suitable substitute in my absence, can you please advise? If not, then from xx Month Year until my return, I will not be able to provide those services as per the abovementioned agreement.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    What's wrong with people? I tell them I won't be there.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Email
    Subject: Availability

Just to warn you that I won't be available from <date> to <date>

If you think this will cause an issue with project delivery can you please let me know

Thanks

<your name>
    +1
    In fact I've just sent this email off to the PM.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I have always gone with the principle of "Would there be any issues with me being away from X-Y?"

Although I had to push back against the admin when they wanted me to log it as holiday in the timesheet system. Although when I explained that it might be considered as fraud by HMRC* as I am logging it as holiday when it is not as by definition the client cannot grant me holiday as I do not work for them they understood.

*The fact that I made that up is neither here nor there.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Email
    Subject: Availability

Just to warn you that I won't be available from <date> to <date>

If you think this will cause an issue with project delivery can you please let me know

Thanks

<your name>

Dear Client Co
    Over the next two weeks I will be proof reading my documentation therefore, I will be working from home.
    A Contractor

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Yep, you sort of tell them and ask them at the same time, as you say "I am doing xxxxx. If this is an issue let me know."
    Absolutely.

If the PM is anything like the ones that I deal with, they don't read as far as the "if this is an issue" line, then forget that you're not there.

A couple of projects back, I had the PM do the same thing three times - one day into the break, get a phone call which starts "I've f**ked up again, can you let me know...."

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I've sometimes been asked to fill in a holiday form, until I point out I can't fill in the employee number and that I don't have an annual holiday allowance for HR to work with.

On that basis, I've never filled one in.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    "Requesting" time off sounds horribly like having to fill out a holiday request form, and I bet more than a few noobie contractors make that mistake.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X