• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Inspired by Brillo, my fitness training ...."

Collapse

• Dallas
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Got a garmin watch for running, and a satnav for the bike, so I already log all the rides, compare times etc. Just the HR stuff I haven't got. I can get a compatible monitor for about £30 I think, just not sure how much it'll help.
    Indicator of sickness, tiredness and when you are on form it is a gear indicator

so for me if i am exceeding 155 on a marathon run i know i am overheating and and cannot complete at thet rate, so i need to back off. Same on the bike, i need to average at 145 or i wont have anything left for the run.

Its just an indicator, you can choose how to be anal about it, most normal people go off percieved threshold - if that works thats great too. I have a polar that is linked to my health insurance and gym membership if i submit an hour a day via the HRM the cost of the gym and health insurance come down - so its a gievn for me that I'll use it

if you do get one, get used to your gears then take powder/drink argenin - that makes it more interesting

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    So is it worth getting a heart rate monitor? What will it do for me if I do?
    Monitor your heart rate?

I have a suunto one and it tells you your average and peak heart rate, calories burned and so on. It also has a timer and various alarms you can set if your heart rate goes out of a defined range and so on, so it's handy for interval training, or for ensuring you're working at a particular level of intensity. I also like to keep an eye on it and make sure I'm not overdoing it, as I have done in the past and made myself quite ill.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    A good Garmin will do you the world of good, for if you do the same rides, you can save them, and notice your hart rate slowly come down, the fitter you get. One ride I did, I used to peak at around 168 (and the monitor had an alarm that would be going off). Once properly fit, I struggled to get it above 110 on the same ride. You can map them as well, log the changes, see how you're doing. The Sunday times had some crackers this weekend, with associated apps for smartphones, which logged everything.
    Got a garmin watch for running, and a satnav for the bike, so I already log all the rides, compare times etc. Just the HR stuff I haven't got. I can get a compatible monitor for about £30 I think, just not sure how much it'll help.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    A good Garmin will do you the world of good, for if you do the same rides, you can save them, and notice your hart rate slowly come down, the fitter you get. One ride I did, I used to peak at around 168 (and the monitor had an alarm that would be going off). Once properly fit, I struggled to get it above 110 on the same ride. You can map them as well, log the changes, see how you're doing. The Sunday times had some crackers this weekend, with associated apps for smartphones, which logged everything.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
    2010 twin
    Top bike, top, top bike, you'll do well with that. The best part about that trek, is it had the same frame as the 1.9, and that means it's a cracking frame.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Make sure you also buy some padded shorts. I prefer the bib ones as they are not tight and uncomfortable around my waist. You might look like a bit of a nob, but it's WAAAAY more comfortable than cycling with no padding.

Leave a comment:

• Ketchup
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Older model or new? Triple or twinset?
    2010 twin

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
    I picked up a Trek 1.5 yesterday, need to get a few bits (helmet, water bottles) then will take it out for a spin tomorrow.
    Older model or new? Triple or twinset?

Leave a comment:

• Ketchup
    replied
    I picked up a Trek 1.5 yesterday, need to get a few bits (helmet, water bottles) then will take it out for a spin tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    All done through careful Mittytasking.

HTH

Trademark that now SB

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I'm amazed you fit it all in. Gym, swimming, two clients paying £900/day, reading endless math books, doing an Msc, driving your Toyota sports car, going on holiday, staying in your villa in Portugal, spending time with your sprog.....all combined with 10 hours straight shift of telling us all about it on CUK......

All done through careful Mittytasking.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Thought about that, or perhaps a cassette with a wider range. In the end though, I'll probably just have a cup of concrete and harden the feck up.
    That's the way

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    You could also look at a compact chainset.
    Thought about that, or perhaps a cassette with a wider range. In the end though, I'll probably just have a cup of concrete and harden the feck up.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I get a bit too obsessed with weight cycling in summer, as I am out more, so I look to carry less, and that obviously means me losing as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X