• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Exams again

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Exams again"

Collapse

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Don't worry. I was among the first year to do GCSE. Does that reassure you?

Nope, just makes me feel old

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    why?
    Simply because the vast majority of people don't like studying Shakespeare, so you're anomalous by definition if you did. I'm not saying you shouldn't like it, merely that it's unusual for people at GCSE age.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    would have thought it was an instruction book for your esteemed customers

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I can.

I particularly remember how much I hate William Frigging Golding & his unpleasant "Lord of the Flies" tome.
    My pet hate in English Lit was the poem ' Mending Wall' by Robert Frost, thoroughly analysed by a bunch of pseuds here.

When asked what I had learnt from this poem I responded 'it's easier to hire a bricklayer'.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I can.

I particularly remember how much I hate William Frigging Golding & his unpleasant "Lord of the Flies" tome.
    Why on earth were you memorising her GCSE books??!?!?!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

youngster!

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I am a bit conerned as Pogle jr will be one of the guinea pigs for this new qualification, and taking a new set of exams with no past papers and not knowing what to expect is a bit daunting.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I can't remember anything from the books I read at GCSE and I like reading.

Also as kids can't leave school or have to be an apprenticeship until they are 18, GCSEs should be scrapped.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Yep i can quote large chunks of Antony and Cleopatra, The Winters Tale, Keats and Goldsmith, and my A level english lit gave me a lifelong love of Jane Austin, and Arthur Miller.
    Ah yes, The Crucible. One of the few things I really did enjoy in English Lit class. Thanks Goody Pogle.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I liked the analytical side of reviewing the books, and plays as well, for it taught you to look for words, ideas, where you wouldn't normally think there were some.
    WOHS. It drew you into looking at the politics and social customs of the day.

Bill Bryson's book on Shakespeare is an interesting read, btw.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I am a bit conerned as Pogle jr will be one of the guinea pigs for this new qualification, and taking a new set of exams with no past papers and not knowing what to expect is a bit daunting.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I liked the analytical side of reviewing the books, and plays as well, for it taught you to look for words, ideas, where you wouldn't normally think there were some.
    Yep, it is a lot about developing analysis skills.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I did my GCSEs (General Certificate Sent to Everyone) 20 years ago. For English we did several books including the whole of the Merchant of Venice. I have not really noticed but I can quote chunks of still too. We did a lot of poetry too. We did not really do English Language as such.

Maths topped out at quadratic equations, the COS rule and advanced simultaneous equations. By the time the exam came it was a doddle. I used to do maths passed papers as a revision break from other subjects.

Cannot really remember the other subjects' contents.

However, only 1 girl got straight As (we were before A*s) and she went on to get straights As at A level (I think she might have been the only one again but there might have been one other guy too) and then went to Oxford to do Chemistry. Hence I am pretty confident that this was if not before then just at the start of the standards slip.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Alright then, I hated it but I suppose it's been of some value.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    why?

I still grade things against Shylock's speech, Shakespeare was a lefty for his time.

Grumio is still one of my favourite characters. Reprised in most modern (19-20th century) comedies.

And

Romeo & Juliet is still a powerful plot device.

I did however have a gifted and dedicated English literature teacher.

Talking about the Canterbury tales have you seen the series of reworked in modern times ones, they were rather good.
    It's d000hg, and he doesn't do fiction....

We did Richard III and I even performed in the play on Old Sarum one year.

Read lots of 18 and 19th century guff. We interestingly had to do creative writing as well, which was very enjoyable, for Eng Lit. I liked the analytical side of reviewing the books, and plays as well, for it taught you to look for words, ideas, where you wouldn't normally think there were some.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X