• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "VMS is finally dead"

Collapse

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    HP have got a lot of sauce

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    That's one way to describe it. Another would be "like a half-decomposed zombie clawing its way out of its muddy grave"
    $ exit 13492
    %SYSTEM-F-GAMEOVER, all your base are belong to us

$ exit 2928
    %SYSTEM-W-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels
    Last edited by Sysman; 31 July 2014, 22:30.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Hardly anything in IT seems to die when it should - Some crazy old diehards, no doubt with zimmer frames and beards down to their knees, are still using COBOL and Fortran.
    OS/2 died ten years too early

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Rumour has it he's involved in the new outfit.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out - there's a lot of VMS users still out there. Can't see many new customers taking it on though, and with all the uncertainty any IT manager worth his 6 figure salary will have already put plans in place to replace it over the next decade or so.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I loved the way the book showstopper touched on VMS. Dave Cutler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If Digital listened to Dave VMS could still be live.

I remember seeing a VAX2 in the smithsonian - I remember that coming out. I was coding at RAE Pyestock then. National Gas Turbine Establishment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    VMS: #I am not yet dead, I can dance and I can sing, I am not yet dead, I can do the highland fling#

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Nope, definitely a phoenix.

Suppose I should really have clicked on the link before commenting but that's not the CUK way

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    That's one way to describe it. Another would be "like a half-decomposed zombie clawing its way out of its muddy grave"

Nope, definitely a phoenix.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Like a phoenix from the ashes...

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Like a phoenix from the ashes...

VMS Software, Inc.

Coming soon!

VMS Software, Inc. Named Exclusive Developer of Future Versions of OpenVMS Operating System. - MarketWatch

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I had to compile some Fortran recently. It was part of an open source library, that was part of an open source library, etc., etc., and it seemed quite exciting - I've never seen Fortran before. That was some GIS conversion routines.

As for VMS, at university all the science types used VMS, and all the computing and electronics people used Unix and rightly looked down on the VMS users. I took a functional programming course where the lecturer obviously took delight in basing all the examples on a vending machine - Vending Machine Simple as he called it.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Nearly all of this: operations centre that I worked on was Fortran

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Once had a conversation in the Bayshill Inn in Cheltenham with a chap who had a bunch of Fortran code for analysing low frequency radio signals. Didn't know at the time that it was the regular haunt of the GCHQ crowd.

Anyway, when he finds this, here's the info he was looking for: How To Create a FORTRAN DLL and Call It from Visual Basic

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    The letter doesn't sound quite as terminal as the article.

OpenVMS.org - OpenVMS Community Portal, News and Info

" We are committed to providing you updates and support for the V8.4 OpenVMS operating environment through at least December 31, 2020."

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    top secret would be telling you the MOD opinion of Met office forecasts. The Met office is actually part of the Department for Business Innovation and Skills
    Shouldn't that be the Department for Business Offshoring and Deskilling ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X