• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Sexism - in action

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sexism - in action"

Collapse

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Is there a reason for that?
    For what - him not looking at my breasts? I don't know; I didn't bring that into the thread. I don't think any of his behaviours are because he's sexually attracted to me - see PL's 2 cents worth below, which I agree with.

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    My two cents is that he thinks he's being charming and a bit flirty. He probably has some quirks that he does to blokes to in order to appear matey. He's a socially awkward tw@t.

I think you can probably fix most of this with eye contact. A glare of pure contempt that you hold until he looks away and shuffles back under his rock will let him know his 'flirting' is not required.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Just shag him and be done with it

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    My two cents is that he thinks he's being charming and a bit flirty. He probably has some quirks that he does to blokes to in order to appear matey. He's a socially awkward tw@t.

I think you can probably fix most of this with eye contact. A glare of pure contempt that you hold until he looks away and shuffles back under his rock will let him know his 'flirting' is not required.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    You could start calling him, 'Twinkle toes'. It would be very hard for him to object formally and he might get the message.

I would certainly hold this in reserve as a last resort in case the severe beating doesn't do the trick.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    He doesn't do that. Thankfully.
    Is there a reason for that?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Perhaps this is the key to embarrassing him; 'if you're going to talk to me like that, you should ogle my breasts while you're at it'.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Start calling him "tiny" instead.

If he keeps talking to your breasts, next time you're in a meeting, tell him "I'm wearing a bra, please stop trying to find my nipples"

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied

If he keeps talking to your breasts, next time you're in a meeting, tell him "I'm wearing a bra, please stop trying to find my nipples"
    Or learn the art of ventriloquism so they can talk back.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I do not think I have met a man whose first thought, on meeting a woman, was I could be great friends with this woman*.
    To be fair, my first thought on meeting anyone, man or woman, is never "I could be great friends with this person".

I have my initial reaction of "Will I be able to tolerate this person". Sure, some may become friends later, but a great many will simply become acquaintances that I get on with alright, and some will be come "That that I can't stand".

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    This.

For the same reason that a male driver trying to get out a junction will struggle to get out into a stream of traffic, but a pretty girl who smiles sweetly will get out quickly. Because she might just pull over into the next lay by and say thank you with a quickie.
    I tend to think the people who don't let anyone in are pent up frustrated middle managers who need to feel a sense of control to compensate their failing 'careers' and disappointing sex life.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    A while back, I motioned that it would be impossible for males and females to be great friends, straight out of the box, as such, for at one point, when they met, the male would have wondered if he stood a chance, or he'd have made a decision, conscious or not, whether he'd like, want, to have sex with her.

Friendship would only come as a second idea. I do not think I have met a man whose first thought, on meeting a woman, was I could be great friends with this woman*.

* Unless, of course, they are gay.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    What? Perhaps your wife really is v pretty and it played a part in her working life, but I genuinely have no idea how being pretty or desirable would make my working life easier.
    Well, she is, but that's not the issue. The issue at hand, is whether or not being pretty helps smooth the cogs, and in my wifes case, it did, and she played on it. It worked for her, heaps, but whether or not it helped woman kind is my point, for I think it doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Because most men are stupid is the obvious answer

"She smiled at me, I might have a chance" is going through their head. Seriously.
    This.

For the same reason that a male driver trying to get out a junction will struggle to get out into a stream of traffic, but a pretty girl who smiles sweetly will get out quickly. Because she might just pull over into the next lay by and say thank you with a quickie.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    This. Start calling him "big boy" or "throbber" or something.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Because most men are stupid is the obvious answer

"She smiled at me, I might have a chance" is going through their head. Seriously.
    Yeah, Ok. Perhaps if I was permy it might be different, i.e. I might work for men who could get me places.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X