• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "First timer worries!"

Collapse

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Go for it, I'm a SDM who has just bounced into a PM role about a year ago. I hate and don't have a clue about most of the docs everyone keeps bleating on about but I can assemble a list of tasks, schedule them and get them done by the relevant people and 'front up' brilliantly for the endless mgmt reviews and updates needed.
    So far, 3 projects delivered sweet, on time and without incident.
    Of course, I will get found out for the chancer I am eventually but I have been thinking that for 20 years....
    for god sake you were an Architect man! did the lobotomy hurt to become a PM?

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Go for it, I'm a SDM who has just bounced into a PM role about a year ago. I hate and don't have a clue about most of the docs everyone keeps bleating on about but I can assemble a list of tasks, schedule them and get them done by the relevant people and 'front up' brilliantly for the endless mgmt reviews and updates needed.
    So far, 3 projects delivered sweet, on time and without incident.
    Of course, I will get found out for the chancer I am eventually but I have been thinking that for 20 years....

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

I prefer this one

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I am thinking of "branding" DodgyAgent

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You should write for The Reg about contracting.

Nice short articles starting with the type of advice you gave on this thread.
    I am thinking of "branding" DodgyAgent

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

(checks wallet is still there, just in case)

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    You do know how to pay a compliment
    You should write for The Reg about contracting.

Nice short articles starting with the type of advice you gave on this thread.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

(checks wallet is still there, just in case)

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    He's not the most evil agent on the boards today

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    It's probably a good idea to read each forums description before deciding which to post in. But you're here now, so I hope you can take it.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Why are you being nice today?
    He's not the most evil agent on the boards today

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Has someone pissed on your cornflakes this morning?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If you are that good and you are that ambitious you need to sell yourself. If you cannot influence and persuade then you cannot be very good. If you are any good you would understand the concept of influence and building networks - and therefore marketing yourself would not be a problem. I am afraid coming on to a forum like this as a "little nervous lost boy" suggests that this is the type of Project manager you are... not very good
    Why are you being nice today?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    If you are that good and you are that ambitious you need to sell yourself. If you cannot influence and persuade then you cannot be very good. If you are any good you would understand the concept of influence and building networks - and therefore marketing yourself would not be a problem. I am afraid coming on to a forum like this as a "little nervous lost boy" suggests that this is the type of Project manager you are... not very good
    Has someone pissed on your cornflakes this morning?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by firstimer View Post
    hi - i'm an IT PM just come off an Oracle R12 in a perm role and thinking of going into IT contracting. Im not being made redundant but looking for a next step. I'm nervous i don't have enough experience....6 years as a PM and 3 in IT (with 2 in Oracle implementation). As a young'un am i going to find myself being laughed out of the market with my lack of experience?? I have a great CV but am very nervous about my marketability! Any advice guys??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X