• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First timer worries!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstimer View Post
    hi - i'm an IT PM just come off an Oracle R12 in a perm role and thinking of going into IT contracting. Im not being made redundant but looking for a next step. I'm nervous i don't have enough experience....6 years as a PM and 3 in IT (with 2 in Oracle implementation). As a young'un am i going to find myself being laughed out of the market with my lack of experience?? I have a great CV but am very nervous about my marketability! Any advice guys??
    Read this first
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Take it slowly and use plenty of lubricant.... Of you mean contracting, I suppose the same advice goes when dealing with agents
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I'd stay inside a perm role and look for access toward programme management. That shouldn't take more than 5 to 10 years to get good at it. There always seems to be too many PM's on the contract market and as a result the rates suffer. While rates for programme management roles tend to be in the high £700's

Comment

hi - i'm an IT PM just come off an Oracle R12 in a perm role and thinking of going into IT contracting. Im not being made redundant but looking for a next step. I'm nervous i don't have enough experience....6 years as a PM and 3 in IT (with 2 in Oracle implementation). As a young'un am i going to find myself being laughed out of the market with my lack of experience?? I have a great CV but am very nervous about my marketability! Any advice guys??
          Gi' us yer references
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

If you are that good and you are that ambitious you need to sell yourself. If you cannot influence and persuade then you cannot be very good. If you are any good you would understand the concept of influence and building networks - and therefore marketing yourself would not be a problem. I am afraid coming on to a forum like this as a "little nervous lost boy" suggests that this is the type of Project manager you are... not very good
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              If you are that good and you are that ambitious you need to sell yourself. If you cannot influence and persuade then you cannot be very good. If you are any good you would understand the concept of influence and building networks - and therefore marketing yourself would not be a problem. I am afraid coming on to a forum like this as a "little nervous lost boy" suggests that this is the type of Project manager you are... not very good
              Has someone pissed on your cornflakes this morning?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                Why are you being nice today?
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                  Has someone pissed on your cornflakes this morning?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Why are you being nice today?
                    He's not the most evil agent on the boards today
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

It's probably a good idea to read each forums description before deciding which to post in. But you're here now, so I hope you can take it.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X