• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hurrah for the Blackshirts - favourite Daily Mail stories"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    You are part right - fascism was seen by elements of the ruling class as a bulwark against communism, but I think people are more complex than that. It's much easier to self-justify your position if you can believe in it, much as I would like to think that the powerful are all entirely cynical.
    Yep, but many of the German upper class absolutely hated Hitler. They fought in the army as was their family tradition, but it's no coincidence that many of the plotters in the various assassination attempts on Hitler were patricians or aristocrats, and some others tried to undermine him politically. Basically they felt he was an oik, a rabble rouser and a dangerous loon who would destroy Germany. Fairly accurate assessment.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    My favourite Mail story today is this one:

The toothless loan shark: Market trader who ran illegal lending racket from his fruit and veg stall is spared jail because interest rates were 100 times LOWER than high street firms | Mail Online

Not because of the story, but because of one of the comments. Click the "worst rated" tab, and there near the top is one who comments:

Iwillmakeuseofall1000charactersIwillmakeuseofall10 00charactersIwillmakeuseofall1000charactersIwillma keuseofall1000charactersIwillmakeuseofall1000chara ctersIwillmakeuseofall1000charactersIwillmakeuseof all1000charactersIwillmakeuseofall1000charactersIw illmakeuseofall1000charactersIwillmakeuseofall1000 charactersIwillmakeuseofall1000charactersIwillmake useofall1000charactersIwillmakeuseofall1000charact ersIwillmakeuseofall1000charactersIwillmakeuseofal l1000charactersIwillmakeuseofall1000charactersIwil lmakeuseofall1000charactersIwillmakeuseofall1000ch aractersIwillmakeuseofall1000charactersIwillmakeus eofall1000charactersIwillmakeuseofall1000character sIwillmakeuseofall1000charactersIwillmakeuseofall1 000charactersIwillmakeuseofall1000charactersIwillm akeuseofall1000charactersIwillmakeuseofall1000char actersIwillmakeuseofall1000charactersIwillmakeuseo fall1000charactersIwillmakeuseofall1000charactersI willmakeuseofall1000charactersIwillmakeuseofall100 0charactersIwillmakeuseofall1000charactersthatisit

But unlike CUK the daily mail doesn't wrap the text, so it carries on all the way over to the right, as the horizontal scrollbar testifies

Edit: Well it made me laugh..
    Edit2: Yes it is exactly 1000 characters.
    Edit3: No it wasn't me.
    Edit4: Actually CUK has slightly mangled it - there is no space between each 10 and 00
    Last edited by KentPhilip; 21 May 2013, 20:53.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Not according to a reputable source

Rothermere urged Hitler to invade Romania - This Britain - UK - The Independent

People like that do not believe, they manipulate to obtain power.
    You are part right - fascism was seen by elements of the ruling class as a bulwark against communism, but I think people are more complex than that. It's much easier to self-justify your position if you can believe in it, much as I would like to think that the powerful are all entirely cynical.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Favourite Daily Mail stories

"Mail leads the way in banning paparazzi pictures."

Because since 1997, they've never used a single one.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Rothermere wasn't an opportunist. He was infatuated with fascism.
    Not according to a reputable source

Rothermere urged Hitler to invade Romania - This Britain - UK - The Independent

said Rothermere had been a "warm supporter of the Prime Minister's policy of appeasement with Germany ... and the restoration of the Hapsburg monarchy in Austria ... He had at various times employed as confidential go-betweens various personages who had the entrée to high political circles in Germany, Austria and Hungary". Mr Butler added: "Some years ago Lord Rothermere, in order to further his international political aims, engaged the Princess Hohenlohe's services [for] £5,000 per annum and continued to pay this sum for a number of years ... the work was done by the Princess to Lord Rothermere's satisfaction."
    People like that do not believe, they manipulate to obtain power.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    The British knew about the planned Final Solution in 1938, but they couldn't do much at the time because the info had been obtained by decrypting Nazi messages, and the survival of the UK depended on keeping this ability secret.

But the British did arrange the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich, the chief architect of the plans and someone who was tipped as Hitler's successor, and was every bit as bad as him if not worse (in that he was thought to lack Adolf's vulnerability to being wound up into an enraged state where he might do something stupid!)
    There is a very nice fountain just down the road, as a memorial to the Czechoslovaks who carried out the assassination.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Doesn't that cause cancer?
    How am I supposed to know that if the Wail don't tell me how much her house was worth?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Rumour has it he was shagging a Nazi.
    Doesn't that cause cancer?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Rumour has it he was shagging a Nazi.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    no they were both just opportunist W1nkers talking Tulip.

Murdoch, Black etc would never do something like that.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I thought that too. Funny old world.

Edit: I guess that means that Rothermere = Galloway x Hitler/Saddam
    no they were both just opportunist W1nkers talking Tulip.

Murdoch, Black etc would never do something like that.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Was it the same article?
    no, one had kissed a handsome prince, the other was married to Charles

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    "Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability."
    I thought that too. Funny old world.

Edit: I guess that means that Rothermere = Galloway x Hitler/Saddam
    Last edited by Old Greg; 21 May 2013, 12:47.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Exactly!

I salute your Excellency’s star, which rises higher and higher.

"Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability."

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

I dont read the papers anyway. Not since that headline about a woman giving birth to a frog.

and all those Diana photos. put me off for life they did
    Was it the same article?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X