• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hurrah for the Blackshirts - favourite Daily Mail stories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite Daily Mail stories

Vile Product of Welfare UK
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      A bit off topic, because not a Daily Mail story, but instead a personal telegram from Lord Rothermere, which may help to clarify the Mail's position on Jewish refugees:
      Now you see, my gripe with the Wail is not really that they got things wrong in the 30s, of course there's hindsight and all that, but that the experience of being 'on the wrong side' back then hasn't taught them to avoid making hasty judgments on asylum seekers or refugees. They've learnt nothing. They still spread bile masquerading as respectability. Fair enough to report on immigration and the problems it can bring, but it could be done in a balanced way; but of course, that wouldn't sell so many papers.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Now you see, my gripe with the Wail is not really that they got things wrong in the 30s, of course there's hindsight and all that, but that the experience of being 'on the wrong side' back then hasn't taught them to avoid making hasty judgments on asylum seekers or refugees. They've learnt nothing. They still spread bile masquerading as respectability. Fair enough to report on immigration and the problems it can bring, but it could be done in a balanced way; but of course, that wouldn't sell so many papers.
        Well, you may have a gripe with the Mail. I am simply sharing my favourite stories.

Comment

A bit off topic, because not a Daily Mail story, but instead a personal telegram from Lord Rothermere, which may help to clarify the Mail's position on Jewish refugees:
          and ?

Nobody over here wanted another war. There was no sense of 'unfinished business'. Most people just wanted the stus quo and to forget the horror of WWI.
          This country had tight immigration laws and some people were sneaking in through the back door. The British did not want too many people moving into Palestine either, for administrative reasons.

Obviously, if someone had looked into a crystal ball and said 'you better do something different or ten million of these people are going to be murdered' it would be a different story

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            and ?

Nobody over here wanted another war. There was no sense of 'unfinished business'. Most people just wanted the stus quo and to forget the horror of WWI.
            This country had tight immigration laws and some people were sneaking in through the back door. The British did not want too many people moving into Palestine either, for administrative reasons.

Obviously, if someone had looked into a crystal ball and said 'you better do something different or ten million of these people are going to be murdered' it would be a different story

Exactly!

I salute your Excellency’s star, which rises higher and higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              it could be done in a balanced way; but of course, that wouldn't sell so many papers.

Now there I see your point. Don't entirely agree with it because most of the other news sources studiously avoid covering the topics or give them a positive slant to satisfy their backers or liberal readers.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Exactly!

I dont read the papers anyway. Not since that headline about a woman giving birth to a frog.

and all those Diana photos. put me off for life they did
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

I dont read the papers anyway. Not since that headline about a woman giving birth to a frog.

and all those Diana photos. put me off for life they did
                  Was it the same article?

Comment

Exactly!

"Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability."
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      "Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability."
                      I thought that too. Funny old world.

Edit: I guess that means that Rothermere = Galloway x Hitler/Saddam
                      Last edited by Old Greg; 21 May 2013, 12:47.

Comment

Working...
                      X