• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: What phone next?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What phone next?"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Nexus 4
    +1

£280 up front + £10 a month giffgaff sim.

Leave a comment:

• Cupid Stunt
    replied
    I've been an Apple fans for years and have had several versions of their phones in the past, recently switched to a HTC One, best move I made! I love the front facing speakers the most and as a result use it to play music a lot more.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    any other suggestions?
    Nexus 4

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I usually put it through the company so bulk up front costs doesn't bother me
    Me neither, I bought the last iPhone outright, but this is actually cheaper (by about £100) than buying outright. It makes no sense not to do it

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I usually put it through someone else's name so bulk up front costs doesn't bother me
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Yep, and it looks like it'll actually be cheaper to pay a chunk up-front and then £10 a month than it would be to buy the phone outright. I'll be looking seriously at this next time I'm upgrading. It's sort of similar to what I've done now with the sim-only plan and buying the phone outright.
    I usually put it through the company so bulk up front costs doesn't bother me

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    I have a 12 month sim-only contract, but I can upgrade after 6 months.

Fine by me.

Generally I get a 2 year contract, not a phone fan or a regular upgrader.
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 17 May 2013, 14:24.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    O2 are just about to (or might already have) launched something called O2 Refresh where you pay £x per month for the contract and £x for the phone, so you can upgrade more often by paying off just the phone part (and usually getting a fair whack back from recycling firms) and they wave the remaining contract.

Might be an idea if you change phones frequently.
    Yep, and it looks like it'll actually be cheaper to pay a chunk up-front and then £10 a month than it would be to buy the phone outright. I'll be looking seriously at this next time I'm upgrading. It's sort of similar to what I've done now with the sim-only plan and buying the phone outright.

Leave a comment:

• jimjamuk
    replied
    The HTC One - best phone I've ever seen and used - had mine for a month or so

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    Obvious suggestion, Samsung Galaxy S4? I am in the same situation as you, had my S2 on a 2 year contract which has just expired, now on PAYG until I make my mind up which one to go for next... was thinking of waiting a few more months to see what Apple come up with

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Not sure if its worthwhile changing phones frequently anymore; Much like with PCs they seem to be reaching a plateau in terms of processor, screen, memory etc... In fact I would say there is no compelling reason to upgrade from a Galaxy S3 to an S4

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I got a HTC One recently. It was the nicest phone in the shop at the time, don't know if that has changed yet.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    THe Nokia 520/620 have great reviews and are very cheap SIM-free... could be worth a try.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    O2 are just about to (or might already have) launched something called O2 Refresh where you pay £x per month for the contract and £x for the phone, so you can upgrade more often by paying off just the phone part (and usually getting a fair whack back from recycling firms) and they wave the remaining contract.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Have just switched my about to expire 2 year O2 contract down to a sim only £16 a month, from £32 a month, on my Galaxy S2, until the Samsung Note 3 comes out, hopefully later this year.

People have recommended the HTC One, any other suggestions?
    How long are you planning to keep it for?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X