• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best novel you've read?"

Collapse

• Lockhouse
    replied
    ...I forgot Armor by John Steakley - a great under-publicised SF novel with a cult following.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Never fully read any of his stuff. I read the first chapter of the first Discworld novel and it put me right off.

I might try again starting with Mort, as people seem to rate the Death books (Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music.)
    Mort and Reaper Man are certainly my favourites, I'd suggest Reaper Man as a great 1st book. There are in my view 10-12 great Disworld books and about double that again if you become a fan.

My tops would also include Small Gods, Wyrd Sisters, Sourcery, Pyramids & Equal Rites.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The Hannibal Lecter books by Thomas Harris are worth reading.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
    Surprised no-one has mentioned any of Terry Pratchett's yet.
    Never fully read any of his stuff. I read the first chapter of the first Discworld novel and it put me right off.

I might try again starting with Mort, as people seem to rate the Death books (Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music.)

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Anyone read The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks. Can't really recommend it as I found it a tad disturbing.
    Read it when it first came out, way back in the '80s.

Enjoyed it a lot.

Ditto The Bridge.

Leave a comment:

• Goatfell
    replied
    There is also HG Wells 'A Modern Utopia', decent but a bit dull at times (my prose "choice" it for A Level English Lit )

Anyone read The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks. Can't really recommend it as I found it a tad disturbing.

qh
    Yup, when I got "that" revelation I dropped the book. It really is quite unsettling.
    A lot of his others are good though, I particularly liked Complicity, as someone else mentioned, many of them are set in Scotland. Although it's not really a novel, look out for 'Raw Spirit, In Search of the Perfect Dram', him, a MkII Jag, and a lot the cratur.

Surprised no-one has mentioned any of Terry Pratchett's yet.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    A Delahaye - Ich will!

I'm off for a hand shandy.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Just finished Brave New World.

Nineteen Eighty-Four is the next on my list for the genre.
    There is also HG Wells 'A Modern Utopia', decent but a bit dull at times (my prose "choice" it for A Level English Lit )

qh

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    A Delahaye - Ich will!

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by KaiserWilly View Post
    Not really into novels, but I remember fondly Camus' "L'etranger"

More recently, I read "The kindly ones".
    Also he was killed in a Facel Vega, the only cool French car, part from the DS. And the Delahaye.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by KaiserWilly View Post

I had a book by Camus but I just used to carry it around hoping to appear windswept and interesting and get off with one the Arty girls at uni (Well, Bolton Institute of Technology).

Didn't Mark E Smith write a song about 'Camus in a Plastic Bag' or summert? The Fall are absolute shiite though so probably not...

Leave a comment:

• KaiserWilly
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    I've read quite a few of the books mentioned here, all good reads.

I got American Psycho for Kindle today and started reading, kinda weird so far and not what I would say is a page turner for the first couple of chapters.

I'll persevere.

Leave a comment:

• BabyBoomer
    replied
    Re: Best novel you've read?

Sticking to pre-war foction, therefore (mostly) downloadable for free:
    Humour: Wodehouse, Saki, E F Benson, Ernest Brahmah (Kai Lung), J K Jerome, Damon Runyon, A C Macdonnel.
    Thrillers/Crime: Geoffrey Household, Dornford Yates, Buchan, Erskine Childers, C S Forester (early crime, not Hornblower).
    Kids but worth reading as an adult: Lewis Caroll, E E Nesbit, R L Stevenson, Kenneth Grahame, Arthur Ransome.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell.

qh
    Just finished Brave New World.

Nineteen Eighty-Four is the next on my list for the genre.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X