• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: new combi boiler

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "new combi boiler"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    ... only charged me £50 for servicing my back boiler.

looks like you enjoyed it.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Wrong forum I know BUT - which sort do I need to get the hot water up to decent pressure ? Barely adequate from current tank setup, yeah I know a pump can be fitted but suspect boiler is looking for retirement after 15 years so thinking 2 birds 1 stone type deal...
    Do you have a storage cylinder for hot water or use a combi?

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Wrong forum I know BUT - which sort do I need to get the hot water up to decent pressure ? Barely adequate from current tank setup, yeah I know a pump can be fitted but suspect boiler is looking for retirement after 15 years so thinking 2 birds 1 stone type deal...
    Megaflo is what you're after. We had one put in about 7 years ago and it's great.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    basically get British gas round to quote then pay 1/2 - 2/3rds.
    That sounds right.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    when ours was done the boiler & tank were taken for scrap no charge strangely enough.
    20 years ago the scrap value of the boiler and tank were the fitter's perk.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Vaillant.

Enough said.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I've just been quoted £2.5k for a combi and 9 radiators fitted.

My plumber seems far to honest to make any money in this game, he's gas safe registered and came highly recommended but turned up in in an old 'P' reg Pug van, only charged me £50 for servicing my back boiler.

I was expecting a '13' plate Merc Vanio, sucking of air through teeth and a bill for £150+.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Brand new Vaillant 831, in North London, £1450 supplied and fitted to replace existing.

-> Cash, no questions asked.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to go for a 24kw combi/condensor, for 2.5 - 3k
    sometime in the summer

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I wouldn't take any notice of the misers on a site like that - You'll end up with some cheap pile of junk that is always going wrong. Pennypinchers spend their whole life struggling with things breaking down all the time.

Get a Vaillant EcoTEC Plus 837 or EcoTEC Plus 937 Storage , and you'll have no problems for years.

Actually the "misers" on there recommend Vaillant or Worcester Boilers.

A few of them claim to be tradesmen and get there work from fixing other makes. Most people can't afford to put in Vaillant or Worcester boilers as they cost more.

I have a Vaillant Eco model which has been going fine since 2005. No break downs yet.

Oh and money saving doesn't equal buying junk. It means not wasting your money on cheap or expensive items that don't do the job.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Ours has been a PITA. Breaks down on average once a year. Probably about 8 years old now, and has three new fans and two new thermostats.
    What was your model though? A Potterton or Worcester? I've heard they're not quite as good as Vaillants, although there's probably not much difference.

Anyway, the technology (including what amount to built in PCs) has come on in leaps and bounds in the last 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    yes , but how many years ?

from what I am reading, the old standard boilers lasted for 20 years, the new combi / condensers last for 7 years

on average
    I read the other day that 60% of the Rolls Royces made since 1900 are still running.

In the year 2100 they'll probably be saying the same about EcoTEC boilers.

P.S. I paid extra for a built-in water softener, which probably makes a big difference in a hard water area like London. Not sure how applicable that is in Liverpool though.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

from what I am reading, the old standard boilers lasted for 20 years, the new combi / condensers last for 7 years

on average
    Ours has been a PITA. Breaks down on average once a year. Probably about 8 years old now, and has three new fans and two new thermostats.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I wouldn't take any notice of the misers on a site like that - You'll end up with some cheap pile of junk that is always going wrong. Pennypinchers spend their whole life struggling with things breaking down all the time.

Get a Vaillant EcoTEC Plus 837 or EcoTEC Plus 937 Storage , and you'll have no problems for years.

on average

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    There is a site called Moneysavingexpert.com where people can ask questions on saving money on household matters like this, ...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X