• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

new combi boiler

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if its one of these condensing boilers pay attention to where it drains to - if it is outside they freeze up and F the boiler -

Comment

There is a site called Moneysavingexpert.com where people can ask questions on saving money on household matters like this, personal banking, personal credit cards, mortgages etc.

I think that would be the best place to ask this question.

BTW If you have 2 or more bathrooms, or a minimum of one bathroom and one cloakroom, and your house isn't big enough to need more than one boiler then DO NOT get a combi-boiler.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

£3k, two years ago but depends on your house.
        Our gas bill dropped by about 50%

Further to my visit to your home I have pleasure in detailing below a revised schedule of work we will carry out for £3050.00 including vat.

The existing back boiler & fire, cylinder and tanks will be removed & disposed of. (Flue liner to remain).

In the kitchen will be installed a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30 CDI A rated 30Kw, wall mounted, gas, condensing, combination boiler/water heater fitted with a fanned flue which will terminate through outside wall to rear of boiler. A plume management kit will be fitted.

The boiler will be fitted with filling loop, non return valve, isolating valves and pressure relief pipe-work and valve which will discharge through the outside wall.

A plastic condense pipe will be taken to a suitable drain.

The existing 22mm gas pipe work below the back room floor will be extended to the new boiler position I have assumed the existing gas pipe work to be sound & of adequate size / gas flow rate. Tests will be carried out.

The existing hot and cold water services will be reconnected to the new boiler to supply hot water on demand. The existing shower pump will removed & pipe work cross connected.

The existing heating circuit will be reconnected.

Comment

My Combi Boiler has just bust

It's ten years old and a B&Q cheapy - always been a bit reluctant to light but has sprung a leak inside - wet gas does not light very well!

I'm going to budget £2K for a straight swap for a make with a decent guarantee - am I going to get one under budget?

Combi is good as there is only me - current one has just about paid for itself in gas savings over the old back boiler one in the fireplace (which is still there - probably holds up the house!)

Comment

My father (who lives in a 5 bed, two bath house) has just had a Worcester bosch combi put in to replace a five year old boiler and heat exchanger hot water cylinder system. 7 year parts & labour guarantee, £2.5k in Cumbria.

Comment

thanks fellows. some useful info here
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

We've got an industrial sized boiler that's been going strong since 1975. Yes it costs a fortune to run, no it doesn't go wrong. Output is 59Kw. It only has two settings; off and inferno.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  There is a site called Moneysavingexpert.com where people can ask questions on saving money on household matters like this, ...
                  I wouldn't take any notice of the misers on a site like that - You'll end up with some cheap pile of junk that is always going wrong. Pennypinchers spend their whole life struggling with things breaking down all the time.

Get a Vaillant EcoTEC Plus 837 or EcoTEC Plus 937 Storage , and you'll have no problems for years.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    I wouldn't take any notice of the misers on a site like that - You'll end up with some cheap pile of junk that is always going wrong. Pennypinchers spend their whole life struggling with things breaking down all the time.

Get a Vaillant EcoTEC Plus 837 or EcoTEC Plus 937 Storage , and you'll have no problems for years.
                    yes , but how many years ?

from what I am reading, the old standard boilers lasted for 20 years, the new combi / condensers last for 7 years

on average
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                      yes , but how many years ?

from what I am reading, the old standard boilers lasted for 20 years, the new combi / condensers last for 7 years

on average
                      Ours has been a PITA. Breaks down on average once a year. Probably about 8 years old now, and has three new fans and two new thermostats.

Comment

Working...
                      X