• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How do you view the late Margaret Thatcher?"

Collapse

• proggy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    So ordering the deaths of a few hundred young men or destroying the communities of a few hundred thousand people is of the same order as 20 million deaths and 13 million being sent to the camps, or over 1 million and many more being killed and tortured.

Well, you win the prize for the most moronic comment so far.

The adults are talking. Here are some balls - go play with them.
    Wow never seen a moderator being so abusive before, in other forums they are usually mature and intelligent.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    It's being so miserable that keeps him going.

Miserable twat.
    He is also male so he will be respected/excused for that alone.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    So ordering the deaths of a few hundred young men or destroying the communities of a few hundred thousand people is of the same order as 20 million deaths and 13 million being sent to the camps, or over 1 million and many more being killed and tortured.

If going to war because a foreign power invades ones sovereign territory is wrong then what does this say about Britain going to war against Germany when Germany had not set foot or fired a shot on British territory. It is indeed one of the most moronic non arguments. If this is the best that these people can do to criticise her and give themselves justification for hating her then we have nothing to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by proggy View Post
    Yes, because writing a few good songs with the odd controversial comment is the same as ordering the deaths of innocent young men or decimating entire communities for generations. A better comparison is someone like Pol Pot or Stalin.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Yes, well said.
    I think what it means is that you are very happy with the wealth that she created for you but you like to hate her because you cant deal with the guilt

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    you may have agreed with Thatchers tune, but disagreed with the words ?
    Yes, well said.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Not sure how she could of done it nicely, we had the leaders of the Unions willing to run illegal strikes . They were happy to assault police and beat up their colleagues so after a lot of violence she sent a lot of police up there with riot gear.

Its not like the miners were unwilling to cripple the country
    1972 and 1974 Miners' Strikes

Then of course the miners murdered innocent taxi drivers
    1984-5 Miners' Strike

frankly if they had negotiated fewer pits would have been flooded and closed.

Wanting smaller council house stocks she bribed people to buy them.

Wanting smaller government she bribed people to buy shares.

Wanting to build a financial services she encouraged the city to move toward light regulation electronic trading.

We couldn't sell most of our goods because they were too expensive, we couldn't afford to subsidise them so factories closed. Should we have kept them open and closed the NHS, pensions etc?

it was a bad time and she was a bad ass leader!

there wasn't an alternative, the unions had made sure of that.

In Germany they formed worker councils and worked with employers.

Of course 22 years on the communities could have reinvented themselves, they haven't.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Morrisey is a complete and utter twat.
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    There are many ways to skin a cat, using a chain saw is a bit too messy.
    you may have agreed with Thatchers tune, but disagreed with the words ?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    nOf course you have the benefit of hindsight so tell us how it could have been made easier?

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    You are quite pathetic. how else could the economy have been rescued from the brink of bankcruptcy to give you the priviliged existence that you enjoy today?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I am not a Labour supporter either, the last Labour governments have been incompetent and almost as bad as Thatchers government. There are plenty of Thatchers ideas I agree with and in fact all in all my opinions are aligned with the typical conservative, it's the way she implemented them that is the problem. I would prefer a smaller government, less taxes and welfare for only those in need. The NHS needs to be stripped apart and privatised, however we also need regulators with razor teeth to keep an eye on the corporations. A country is not like a company, you can't just sack people or destroy industries (even if they did need to go) overnight without something in it's place.
    You are quite pathetic. how else could the economy have been rescued from the brink of bankcruptcy to give you the priviliged existence that you enjoy today?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I am not a Labour supporter either, the last Labour governments have been incompetent and almost as bad as Thatchers government. There are plenty of Thatchers ideas I agree with and in fact all in all my opinions are aligned with the typical conservative, it's the way she implemented them that is the problem. I would prefer a smaller government, less taxes and welfare for only those in need. The NHS needs to be stripped apart and privatised, however we also need regulators with razor teeth to keep an eye on the corporations. A country is not like a company, you can't just sack people or destroy industries (even if they did need to go) overnight without something in it's place.
    thanks for your view on the role of government. many here might agree.
    low points for sticking to the topic though

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I see the lilly livered psuedo (you dontg give a sh*t about the miners do you?) hypocrite is back out again.

So why dont you be brave and argue why we should return to the pre Thatcher days. Ken Livingstone at least made the effort to argue that Britain was a better place than Thatcher the trouble is no one took any notice of him.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    When I think of Thatcher, I try to compare her with someone. The only person I can think of is Churchill
    Then I think of an old army saying, 'it's easier to be an officer in war than it is in peace', because your authority is magnified.
    For these reasons, I think Thatcher was the greater leader. Although she still owes me three pints of milk
    the bitch

Leave a comment:

Working...
X