• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Jury service

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jury service"

Collapse

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I asked for a deferral last January (busy on project) until April. Got called again in July.

With the PCG insurance I wasn't really that much out of pocket.

IMO everybody should do it if called, it's not only a civic duty but quite an eye opener to the underclasses...

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    we can put you up in the keep which has bedpans. Or you can wee in the moat.
    dam spill chequers

Leave a comment:

• istvan
    replied
    I was called once, although it was in the US. After "interviewing" each jury to be that day, I was released, because I have a relative who is an attorney. My opinion would have been biased they claimed. I got about 9 quid. My opinion is biased anyway, what do they know... .

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    I got called up when i was 18 and being a youth i never bothered going, just never went, never heard another word from them even though i thinks its contempt of court

I would love to get called up again probably never will though

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    I was called up 2 or so years ago and got an exemption, on the basis that I am the only income earner and in generic terms being 'self employed' cannot afford any loss of income. Email them to this effect and they will provide an exemption (as opposed to a deferral).

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Jury service

You can WFJ - work from jury box...

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I do a lot of Jury service comfortable in the knowledge that my contractors earn me money whatever I do.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I will be pleased to attend jury service. What facilities do you provide for incontinent turrets suffers?
    we can put you up in the keep which has bedpans. Or you can wee in the moat.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Plead insanity.

Works for me.
    I will be pleased to attend jury service. What facilities do you provide for incontinent turrets suffers?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/dela...m-jury-service

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Anyone been called upon?

A contractor at work has just been called up and is only allowed to claim £60 per day.

That's a huge loss if it lasts a little while.
    IIRC, PCG Plus members get cover for jury duty, as long as you are in contract.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    As you're all pcg plus members, your insurance will cover this.

Malvolio

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    plenty of sites out there explaining how to avoid or get a deferral.

also pretty sure its been done here before.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Does a criminal record disqualify you? You could smash a window or something and get nicked?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Yes. You can get a deferral if it will cause hardship or, as in my case, they will need to pay for flights to get you there and back.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X