• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who is the king of the polygons?"

Collapse

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I think in the minds of most people, "pentagon" for example refers to a regular pentagon. The famous US government building isn't known as "The Regular Pentagon".

If you're going to take "pentagon" to mean any 5 sided polygon, then there are limitless possibilities, and that makes the question entirely stupid.
    With respect, what most people call something is not the guiding principle in mathematics.

And from (for example) a topology point of view, all pentagons that do not intersect themselves are one and the same.

(Pentagons where each side intersects 2 other sides are different from that, but the same as each other. Do you know any other kinds of pentagon apart from those two?)

Isomorphism is the essence of mathematics, and of symmetry, and of understanding the universe.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    That's because the American People wouldn't accept a regular pentagon. They'd demand an extra-large pentagon, with a side order of fries.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to NickFitz again.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    The famous US government building isn't known as "The Regular Pentagon".
    That's because the American People wouldn't accept a regular pentagon. They'd demand an extra-large pentagon, with a side order of fries.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I think in the minds of most people, "pentagon" for example refers to a regular pentagon. The famous US government building isn't known as "The Regular Pentagon".

If you're going to take "pentagon" to mean any 5 sided polygon, then there are limitless possibilities, and that makes the question entirely stupid.
    Well, that is what pentagon means. It's quite acceptable to call a regular pentagon a pentagon, because it is.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    No they aren't - there is nothing in the list which dictates line length and angle size.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    All of those options are regular polygons. Sounds like prejudice towards the irregular to me.
    No they aren't - there is nothing in the list which dictates line length and angle size.

If you accept a henagon as a polygon, then obviously that is the exception, since they are all regular by definition.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I refuse to accept a henagon as a polygon.

Hendecagon, yes. However, my personal favourite (and therefore the logical ruler of all) is the chiliagon.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    All of those options are regular polygons. Sounds like prejudice towards the irregular to me.

I prefer a good concave polygon myself.
    You can have an irregular concave pentagon or above. A square, I will grant you, is regular.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Flatland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    Can we vote for non-euclidean geometry shapes in n dimensional space?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied

I prefer a good concave polygon myself.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    The circle, while not strictly a polygon, is what happens when you take the idea of reglar n-gons to it's logical limit. It trancends polygonism to acheive geometric perfection, and in doing so introduces us to the mystery of Pi.

Only a madman would liken it's beauty to the outline of a penis shaped vegetable.
    You can never transcend polygonism. And my fifteen wives would each agree!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I'm rather annoyed that I've ommited the koch snowflake.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    I did. I voted for the hexagon as I'm a fan of Bob Holness and Blockbusters.

So that's why I think by having the circle in there you are taking the p, please Bob..
    The circle, while not strictly a polygon, is what happens when you take the idea of reglar n-gons to it's logical limit. It trancends polygonism to acheive geometric perfection, and in doing so introduces us to the mystery of Pi.

Only a madman would liken it's beauty to the outline of a penis shaped vegetable.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    If you don't like it, vote for something else
    I did. I voted for the hexagon as I'm a fan of Bob Holness and Blockbusters.

So that's why I think by having the circle in there you are taking the p, please Bob..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X